B.C. anglers catch a fish this big

splashhopper

very cool!

But how did they ever weight it?

Fishing the Fraser has been on my hit list for way too long and that's just one more huge reason to get there!

Hey if you catch one of these on your kayak.. u might end up all the way over in China by the time you land it brother! LMAO

When my grandfather was a kid and they fished for them out of Port Dover, what they used to do was get one on a line. They would then put you out in a small dingy and it would tow you until it was exhausted.... Then the big boat would come back and pick you both up. I didn't see where that sounded like fun myself, apparently it could take several hours for the fish to tire enough too.

Now remember there was no GPS, cell phone or even radios in those days so there you were being towed around by this huge monster with only the vauge promise from the captain of the big boat that they would find you "eventually" on Lake Erie no less. Not to mention quite often the fish was big enough to sink your dinghy if it rammed it. If that wasn't enough to deter you add in the fact that a sturgeon's hide is like a rasp it can flay the skin on you to the bone just by brushing against you as it swims along.

When my grandfather was a kid and they fished for them out of Port Dover, what they used to do was get one on a line. They would then put you out in a small dingy and it would tow you until it was exhausted.... Then the big boat would come back and pick you both up. I didn't see where that sounded like fun myself, apparently it could take several hours for the fish to tire enough too.

Now remember there was no GPS, cell phone or even radios in those days so there you were being towed around by this huge monster with only the vauge promise from the captain of the big boat that they would find you "eventually" on Lake Erie no less. Not to mention quite often the fish was big enough to sink your dinghy if it rammed it. If that wasn't enough to deter you add in the fact that a sturgeon's hide is like a rasp it can flay the skin on you to the bone just by brushing against you as it swims along.

I woulda signed up for that ride!

Sounds like a blast.

Then again.... it could be an ol fish tale too :whistling:

I woulda signed up for that ride!

Sounds like a blast.

Then again.... it could be an ol fish tale too :whistling:

Probably true enough. Granddad wasn't one to stretch the truth about fishing.... He didn't have too, because as anyone who was around Port Dover between 1905 and 1920 will tell you there were fish aplenty, back then.

BTW the first time Granddad and his buddies saw a sturgeon they were swimming and one of the kids swore it was a shark because he didn't see it until it hit his leg and then the dorsel fin broke the surface.... When they race up on shore the kid who had been hit had a huge gash in his leg from where the skin abraded making then all sure it was a killer shark LOL. They ran back to town and got laughed out of it by the old timers who knew it was just a sturgeon.