Florida fishing

Master of Bait

Just a quick post of a few pics from a winter trip to the clearwater area back in January. Caught a baby shark and some catfish. Self-photos here so that explains why they're cr*p. Any ideas on the shark species?

Motel

cubaflorida107.jpg

Cold Snap Beach Shots

cubaflorida106.jpg

cubaflorida162.jpg

Crab/Horseshoe Crab Carcasses

cubaflorida148.jpg

cubaflorida158.jpg

Saltwater Catfish

cubaflorida132.jpg

cubaflorida133.jpg

Unidentified Baby Shark

cubaflorida105.jpg

cubaflorida128.jpg

cubaflorida127.jpg

Cheers,

MoB

I'm no expert but considering where you caught that shark, it's coloration, shape, etc, I'd bet on Nurse Shark. It's obviously a juvenile so there are bound to be some things that are different from an adult Nurse. They're very common around the Florida reefs. Quite sedate. They are most often seen sleeping on the sandy bottom or with their heads stuck under a reef overhang. They're the ones scuba divers encounter most often. They have little fear of divers in the water.

JF

I can't positively ID the shark either, and it may be a juvenile Nurse shark, but looks more like a juvenile Dusky shark to me.

I can however put a positive ID on the first crab as a Stone Crab, I'm sure it was dead when you found it... but the claws on live ones are a true delicacy and the only part of the crab that can be legally harvested (they grow new ones).

Looks like fun!

I was down in SW Florida in March and did quite a bit of fishing with my dad. Everything from ladyfish, to pomps, whitings, mackerels a few speckled trout (sea trout) and yes... even 1 salt water catfish, lol....

I also caught a bonnethead shark that went about 35inches or so.. It wasn't a very nice fish, lol.

The shark looks like a nurse shark and the catfish are gaffstopsail ( SP)

catfish.

Cheers jeff

I'm sorry, but you're mistaken about the catfish. A Gafftopsail Catfish has much longer "wisps" on the dorsal and pectoral spines.

Like this:

Sailcat_web.jpg

gafftop.jpg

MOB's Catfish is just a regular Hardhead Sea Catfish.

Like this:

Arfel_u2.jpg