Conestogo lake, anyone? Ever?

Bass Tard

I'm heading up there to camp for the weekend and get the boat out for a couple of days, just wondering if anyone has fished, or fishes there? What kind of water or cover can I be expecting? Is it good and deep and well marked? I would assume it to be.

Any help/insight would be super-duper.

Thanks!

I've fished a couple times from shore and once from a tiny inflatable boat. Got a nice pike and a couple smallies within a couple hours around the dam. A thunderstorm rolled in so I didn't get to explore it more than that. Been meaning to get out there again.

I would expect there to be decent smallmouth and pike fishing, not sure about the largemouth there.

there are pike and bass in there. Lots of little cat fish as well that i have seen.

Never had much luck there for some reason. Fished bellow the dam couple of times with no luck.

I know they stock browns in Conestoga river couple of miles below the dam and I`ve heard that some walleye as well have been caught.

So good luck!

I keep my boat just down river from there in Glen Allen and use it to test my boat after I do any work on it. The quality of the water just grosses me out. Ive never seen so much suspended solids in a lake even more than fanshawe.There is pike, walleye and smallmouth in it though.

I was in Glen Allen month and a half ago and the water did not look too good.

Murky and stale, catfish biting on every live bait that you throw in there.

15 other people fishing right bellow the bridge and every one of them using jigs.

Smallies and pike in the lake. I would recommend that you spend all your time fishing in the lake and not in the river below the dam. The fishing has gone to crap there and will likely be packed. If you go the main office you may be able to get a cheap map of the lake bottom, but i'm not sure if they have it at conestoga or not. If they do it will give you an idea where to start.