Lawn Care

JFR

As most know, in 2009 the present Liberal Nanny state is going to ban the cosmetic use of pesticides.My area has had problems with white grubs, and chinch bug lava destroying lawns. This had been controlled by the use of a product called Merit, applied by a licenced lawn care tech. This chemical killed any and all crittes in the earth, including earth worms.I have spent several hours on the 'net researching the natural predator "nematodes" These critters appear to be the answer.

I am now looking for board members who may have used them and had success. You may have a friend or relative, or neighbour who used these little critters and had success.

Please don't dismiss this post off hand, if you can shed some more light it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks you

just JOHN

last year I had a severe problem with grubs it was actually solo who passed by my place on a non related subject and recomended the nemotodes. I purchased them and applied it as recommended.

Conclusion

I had no grubs this year as they killed them all last year and it worked like a total charm it took about 10 days and I noticed no more of the dreadful dead grass spread. Get them they work IMO even better then Merit or other products

Edited by aniceguy

Thank you all for the replies. Just returned from the garden centre with a package of nematodes. Will be applying tomorrow during the rain we are expecting.

TennesseeGuy, you can apply them in the spring, usually May and June as well as late summer August/September for best results. This according to many web sites I have visited while researching this alternative.

Hopefully by next spring, my lawn will green up without those dreaded brown spots.

Thanks again for your replies.

just JOHN

Is there a best time to apply?

Yes, from early spring 'till say mid June, then Mid Aug-mid Oct roughly.

The summer heat will kill the nematodes if applied then...

Make sure you're lawn is well watered before applying and spray them either early morning or on an overcast day.