Lake Cecebe Report

Lakeshore

The last time I had been to Cecebe was when I was a little kid, about 25 years ago. Full circle now, as I take my kids to the same lake where my mom and dad took me and my brother. A lot has changed, but the memories remain. The trip took place from August 9th to the 16th.

Saturday - We arrived at about 6pm, after about a dozen stops along the way to the flea market on the 400, to the busiest McDonalds in Ontario along Hwy 11. We finally arrived to downpours for most of the evening, so the evening was spend practicing our Rock Band. These are my BIL's and my three kids.

Huntsville017.jpg

Sunday - after a leisurely breakfast we decided to do a little fishing right off the dock.

Huntsville040.jpg

My son Matthew with one of dozens of small sunfish and the occasional perch off the dock.

Huntsville075.jpg

Off the pontoon boat with Julia, already a seasoned angler, who loves to fish.

Huntsville071.jpg

Huntsville116.jpg

Everyone went in and I decided to make a few last casts when I hooked into a pretty good sized smallie. I started yelling that I had a good one on. I was using a new rod I had purchased for Matthew (ML action 6lb test) from Bass pro. Fish went under the boat, slapped the pontoons, cut the line and on top of that broke the first eyelet off a brand new rod. Bass Pro replaced the rod after a few questions.

Monday - Fishing was difficult, just getting the hang of the islands, deeper water and working the bays for fish with in line spinners, white spinnerbaits, white jigs, but nothing, nada, zip for a whole days fishing. I got one follow in a channel on an in line buzz bait, but the first day yielded no fish.

It doesn't help that we were fishing from a pontoon boat, but the fishing boat wasn't available yet. That evening we had great weather, and we did the campfire thing. Kids making smores with my wife.

Huntsville081.jpg

Tuesday - Decided to play the south end of the lake, again trying bait rigs, spinners, jigs. My BIL Joe gets this one lonely bass on a white jig. Fish hits on about 6 feet of water just as the jig hits bottom. Realy big weedy bay, hard to fish, but we got follow, and rises on buzzbaits, but Joe gets the only one destined for the fry pan.

Huntsville080.jpg

Go out again just an hour before dusk. I decide to try to a spot recommended by KWMike. Two small islands, brush in water, just beside some channel markers. Fisrt cast get a small pike, but hooked deep in the throat (using live bait) on jig. Its a keeper unfortunately. Ths kids get a kick out of it. My youngest Andrew just a little bit leery about posing with it.

Huntsville086.jpg

Wednesday - no fishing, mainly hung out at the cottage, tubing, swimming, sleeping in the shade, rides on the pontoon boat.Couldn't go fast enough for Julia.

Huntsville021.jpg

Huntsville091.jpg

Huntsville243.jpg

Huntsville148.jpg

Huntsville102.jpg

Huntsville219.jpg

Thursday - We finally get a fishing boat for a few days, we manage to get the fish finder to work, and head out trolling worm harnesses around islands. We mark fish in about 20 feet of water near bottom.

I lost anouther smallie (common theme) when my rig passes around a bend in the island, and the knot on the snap swivel comes undone. My BIL Joe gets two fish real fast just around the bend of this one island (pickerel) sorry no pics. We boat and take a few more. Then the pickerel stop biting and we get into a huge mess of brown bullheads. Must have caught 30 of them in 30 min. Get the wives and return back to catfish island.

Here is my SIL Anna. Sorry pics on BIL's camera, will post later if I can.

Huntsville188.jpg

Friday - Head out in the later evening to the same spot that we catch the pike at. Get two decent pickerel (no pics), lost another smallie at the boat (cut line when it wraps around the outboard). I just cant seem to boat that last fish. With that note we go back to the cottage for a huge farewell barbecue and we are gone by 10 am the next day.

Hope that you enjoy the report.

Thanks to all the guys that helped me out with infor and maps and other resources, much appreciated.

Hey KWMike, appreciate the help, sorry could not meet you at the dock.