Spinning Reels for Bass Fishing

Popr

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would ask around concerning spinning reel for bass fishing (open water, sub-mergent weeds). I've been thinking about getting a new rod and reel. Any suggestions from the group on a good inexpensive spinning reels (less $150.00) looking at line weights between 6 and 14 lbs. Any thoughts on what you would purchase.

Thanks for your time....

Popr :Gonefishing:

Ever since Daiwa stopped making the SS2, I despise all low to mid-range spinning reels. This reel was incredibly solid and smooth, and had a very beneficial tapered-spool design to mitigate line memory and aide in distance casting. I suppose there's a new Shimano reel in that price range that would be good. If going Shimano, just grab the 2500 size in whatever price range you're looking at. It's really a no-brainer.

Go get a Pflueger President reel in the size you want and then take the other 80.00 bucks out of your 150 and spend it on some other fishing toys. I haven't had any problems with my three which are all used YEAR ROUND for 3 yrs now or the two I have bought for my dad. Also your arms and wrists will thank you for getting something so smooth.

Just for fun I put 2300 yds of line on 6 spools the other night in a little over an hour and I can say that with my old Shimano Mark II's and symetres I would been crippled doing that much reeling in that amout of time. Never even had a twinge of discomfort with the President though.

Dang, thats what I was going to say! I have had mine for 20+ years and it is still great....I guess that means its an antique.

Daiwa must have improved with another model....but what?

forrest

SS2 was lighter, had infinite anti-reverse, same gold/black colour, quick-fold handle, and tapered ABS spool. More bearings if my memory serves me right, but I don't have the documentation to back that up.

Love my quantum pti use it for everything from the eleven foot noodle rod to the ugly stick , to the ice rod. No complaints from me on this reel drag is smooth and its a tough little reel im pretty hard on my gear and this one has taken quite a beating. I would definately buy another and at 120 its a decent price.

So when are we gonna see some pics of these fish you catch on this Duh-Wa? tackle you keep braggin' on???

... or is it the typical Duh-Wa? tackle syndrome? You can hook them... but can't get them to the boat! :stretcher::Gonefishing:

brought in a good amount of fish in the last few days. 4 of them were a good size including 2 coho's 10# and 14# and a chum around 15-16#. All landed with a little bass setup. 100 size duhwa low profile baitcaster reel and a short gloomis rod. I'm losing fish though because i can't get a good hook set with the rod...time to switch to a meat stick.