Moose Territory Lodge

seanik

Greetings to all from the South shore of Lake Erie.

I don't post much but I check this site every day, been busy with trips to the local veterans hospital and the health issues are on the mend.

We didn't do our annual trip to Canada this year because of various scheduling and health problems, but 2009 is definitly a go.

I was surfing the net looking for a lodge or camp that would be a 600 miles or less drive and a bit adventerous, yes I know we are getting to be old geezers but one gets his thrills where one can. I came across " Moose Territory Lodge,Rapides des Joachims, Quebec via Rolphton, Ontario", they must be located about 70 miles East of North Bay. The lodge has rights to 65 square miles and 45 lakes. They have a sawmill and build their own pontoon boats and offer a meal plan. The final 62 miles to camp is a bush road and their brochure says one needs a truck or 4x4 to travel it. The lodge is for sale, the present owners have owned it for 45 years, probably an age issue. Overall this looks like someplace we should take a hard look at for our next trip. We can't find anyone who has been there or has first hand information about MTL. Your thoughts and advice is solicited.

Thank you,

Seanik (Jerry)

Looks like a wonderful place. Never fished there but have in Kippawa, just North. Best Laker trip I ever experienced. They were taking minnows on gang trolls, lead core about 5 colours (or in your case colors, lol) off. Remember a Quebec fishing license would be required as I recall the conservation officers being very strict on that point as well as respecting regulations. The license is pricey to out of province residents.

I can't get any first hand information on the lodge anywhere, they have been in business for 45 years, makes one wonder. My next question is, What the best route to Rolphton, Ontario from Toronto. Probably the easiest is # 11 to North Bay and then East. Mapquest says a more Easterly route near Peterbourgh, this seems like a lot of secondary roads through towns. Any route recommendations would be appreciated, since we have Moose Territory Lodge at the top of our short list with an overnight boys night out in Toronto.

Edited by seanik