Hummingbird 215 Portable fishfinder

holdfast

Just bought a portable figuring on using it for the canoe or small boat. Any problems and anything I should know when setting it up. Any and all advice will help as I'm no pro with fish-finders. Thanks

Edited by holdfast

i've got the same unit, haven't really had any problems with it... the only thing is the suction cup... it falls off once in a while... but that's usually because the boats that i put it on are rentals, and generally not the cleanest (or smoothest) surfaces to stick it to. i also use it ice fishing, you'll have to macgyver something up to the transducer like a T-bar of some sort to keep the transducer sitting straight.

• 9 months later...

I too recently bought this new, but I' m so new to these gadgets, so I need some help.... anyone

I took it out couple of times and placed the transducer on the back hull of the boat as suggested, 20" away from the motor,

It reads the bottom, Structure and all, but no signatures of any fish.

So now I try adjusting the transducer with the narrow point almost facing upward to the transom, but get readings of fish at 80'

to 90' and the depth is at 200'.....

So i decide to go back and adjust the transducer as it says in the manual, structure and bottom contours come up fine but still no Fish, and yet I'm catching them one after another below the boat.

PLEAAAAAAAAAAAASE HEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLP !!!!!!!! :o:huh:

I too recently bought this new, but I' m so new to these gadgets, so I need some help.... anyone

I took it out couple of times and placed the transducer on the back hull of the boat as suggested, 20" away from the motor,

It reads the bottom, Structure and all, but no signatures of any fish.

So now I try adjusting the transducer with the narrow point almost facing upward to the transom, but get readings of fish at 80'

to 90' and the depth is at 200'.....

So i decide to go back and adjust the transducer as it says in the manual, structure and bottom contours come up fine but still no Fish, and yet I'm catching them one after another below the boat.

PLEAAAAAAAAAAAASE HEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLP !!!!!!!! :o:huh:

If you are seeing bottom ok, I wouldn't worry to much about seeing fish. How is the sensitivity setup? Do you have a fish alarm?

I rarely see fish on the finder that I catch.

i never see any "fish" on that unit, i use it strictly for depth, weed growth, structure, etc... i have the fish ID turned off also. find the depth and structure that you want and fish it, let your lure be the "fish finder"

it's a cheapo fish finder, you can't really expect much more than depth and weed growth... unless you're ice fishing, then set it up with the fish alarm turned OFF and you'll be able to see the fish coming through.