Cross Canada Trip?

huntervasili

Ok so come Aug. 21 I will be leaving my home in Burlington and heading out west for school. I will have about 8 days to get from here to Prince George and want to make the best of my trip. I will be heading north and go North of Superior and want to find out where I should go and fish and what I should see. I am 100% open to ideas but it cannot be too far off of the highway. Thanks for any help.

should be just in time to stop in the Soo on your way and catch the start of the pink salmon run near the locks on the St Mary's, also along the way as you head more West, from that point on there are tonnes of fishing options just on the side of the road...if passing by too stop at the mouth of the Montreal river, great for steelies and juvenille Chinooks that time of year, practically right at road side, lots of speckie spots dotted along the highway past that way, up toward Wawa into Marathon and beyond toward Thunderbay...after that,can't really help ya, that's aout as far as I ever fished in Ontario, tonnes of spots right along the Hwy

Stop by the Nipigon and Drive just up the road to Alexanders Falls which is actually a dam. You can shore fish and Ive caught specks and lakers from shore there. Also hit the Michopicoten and some of the other rivers between the soo and wawa. Salmon might be sttarting to move in as well as brookies and steelhead.

Duuuuude. Don’t mean to highjack your thread but I'm looking for the exact same advice. I’m really relying on the board’s knowledgeable people to offer up some solid suggestions.

Come September I’ll be packing up the car, leaving from Hamilton and driving to Edmonton. I’m going to be living with my sister out there and going to try and hook up a job in the oil fields (or anywhere else I’ll be able to make tons of cash). I’ll only be out there until Christmas; I have to return for my last year of school beginning in January.

I’ve been thinking how to do this the best I can seeing that I won’t have too many opportunities like this to fish these “remote” waters.

One idea that I’m borderline with is buying and bringing a float tube. That way I can jump into any water I see driving by or any water that looks interesting on the map… The only thing is having to inflate and deflate it every time, and I think it would take up a lot of room in the car? Maybe rig up an easy strapping system to the roof or trunk? I dunno yet, any thoughts?

I don’t really have any time constraints so I think at least 1 or 2 days I’ll do it up right and rent a boat and kill the day on a lake. But which one(s)?!??? There are far too many to choose from! I’ve never really fished for anything but the usual, Pike, Bass, Pickerel, Muskie…so I’m not really setup for Salmon, Steelies, etc. and I wouldn’t really know what I’m doing. Not sure what Bill is after, but for me, some direction towards some monster pike bass pickerel Muskie would be awesome.

What are you doing for accommodations Bill?? I plan to camp most of the trip to save money but not sure where or if that’s be possible. Probably splurge and spend a night at a fishing camp maybe…again no idea which one.

Just from looking at Google maps I think I’ll do most of my fishing along hwy 17, in between Thunder Bay and Manitoba…I think haha… It just looks like a highly dense area of lakes.

Thanks for everyone’s help. I’m sure everyone can help Bill and I get a good idea of our fishing plans before we head out!

I've been from here to there so many times I do not need a map anymore. Yet I don't know of too many places to stop. There are a ton of lakes around Kenora right beside the road. Porky's (not what you are thinking) is a great restaurant up there as well.

The bow river if you take the low road, Athabaska and Fraser if you take the high road (which is more likely). There is a water fall just outside of Robson Park that has good salmon in it. Valemont is another place to stop. Keep in mind if you fish in a National Park you will need a permit.

Whatever you do, DO NOT STOP IN WAWA!!! You'll never leave so I've been told. Do get gas there though, as it is a long haul between stations especially on the way back. Good rule, never let you're tank get below half once you get up north.

The prairies are spectacular at night. With the northern lights and storms you'll get great shows.

Duuuuude. Don’t mean to highjack your thread but I'm looking for the exact same advice. I’m really relying on the board’s knowledgeable people to offer up some solid suggestions.

Come September I’ll be packing up the car, leaving from Hamilton and driving to Edmonton. I’m going to be living with my sister out there and going to try and hook up a job in the oil fields (or anywhere else I’ll be able to make tons of cash). I’ll only be out there until Christmas; I have to return for my last year of school beginning in January.

I’ve been thinking how to do this the best I can seeing that I won’t have too many opportunities like this to fish these “remote” waters.

One idea that I’m borderline with is buying and bringing a float tube. That way I can jump into any water I see driving by or any water that looks interesting on the map… The only thing is having to inflate and deflate it every time, and I think it would take up a lot of room in the car? Maybe rig up an easy strapping system to the roof or trunk? I dunno yet, any thoughts?

I don’t really have any time constraints so I think at least 1 or 2 days I’ll do it up right and rent a boat and kill the day on a lake. But which one(s)?!??? There are far too many to choose from! I’ve never really fished for anything but the usual, Pike, Bass, Pickerel, Muskie…so I’m not really setup for Salmon, Steelies, etc. and I wouldn’t really know what I’m doing. Not sure what Bill is after, but for me, some direction towards some monster pike bass pickerel Muskie would be awesome.

What are you doing for accommodations Bill?? I plan to camp most of the trip to save money but not sure where or if that’s be possible. Probably splurge and spend a night at a fishing camp maybe…again no idea which one.

Just from looking at Google maps I think I’ll do most of my fishing along hwy 17, in between Thunder Bay and Manitoba…I think haha… It just looks like a highly dense area of lakes.

Thanks for everyone’s help. I’m sure everyone can help Bill and I get a good idea of our fishing plans before we head out!

Seems I have almost the same agenda as you, except I want to get in on some of the Nipigon brookies. Spiel, the Bow is definately going to have to be one of my stops, had it in mind already. Another Question though, after winnpeg should I drive on hwy 16 or continue on Hwy1 Thanks!

If you take 16 you go up to Edmonton, back down to Jasper then on to PG. If you take one it is a long haul between Medicine Hat and Calgary. But then you get to drive the Icefields Parkway back up to Jasper and over. You could also go up through the interior. If you are in a hurry stay north. If you have a chance drive the Icefields.

The university out in Prince George is amazing by the way. For where it is, they did a really good job on it. Lot's of outdoorsy stuff to do.