Do you jigheads & spinners rust?

Guest Fishing For Life

Guest Fishing For Life

Hi guy

not sure if you guys know that since I dont have a boat, I usually wade in lakeshores

to chest high and cast

without any real watertight containers, most my stuff are in the water during the wholetrip.

However, I do not expect what I noticed today:

most of my hooks are rusted!

It includes jigheads and surprisingly enough ... my spinners collections including BlueFox, Mepps ... everything!

Are they supposed to rust after dipping into water over couple hours (my jigheads are whatever cheapest I can find, what about spinners?)

I have had those spinners over maybe 4 years ... are they supposed to rust or am I supposed

to put rust inhabitaor?

By the way, have you got hooks broken b/c of rust? Would you throw them away if rusted?

So, here are my questions:

* What brands jigheads will not rust or more rust-proof

* What about spinners?

Any hooks will rust when soaked in water for a long period of time especially when it's in a box of some sort. You need to air out your soaked boxes and lures after each outting.

Jigheads will rust the quickest and it will spread the rust through out your tackle box when soaked together.

To avoid rust you can add some oil on the hooks but I personally just keep everything as dry as possible and if it gets wet dry it out the same night asap.

Also, no need to wade up to chest high not only it's a safety issue, your gear will get wet.

rusted hook + punctured skin = health hazard

rusted hook + strong fish = broken hook

chest waders + chest waders = health hazard

put your equipment in a floating rig and trail it along behind you.

ever think of getting a kayak, fishing tube or floatcat? Chest high is kinda iffy. I have sunk a couple of feet while on what I thought was a solid bottom.

forrest

Grab a few wine corks and put them in with your tackle. When you're wading, take the corks out and put them somewhere dry. Put them back in the boxes when you're done for the day...

Don't fish with rusty gear, it's just not right!

Edited by PALEFACE

The silica bags are the best bet because DW-40 and oil aren't good for the water you will be fishing and just wash off anyhow. You can also get commercial products to put in your tackle boxes to get rid of moist air.

Here is one that is available. This one can be regenerated to use over and over again.

http://www.drierite.com/default.cfm?gclid=...CFRpknAodZ1ZVrg

If you want silica gel you can get it here.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?...&cat=2,2260

For surface rust you can set up a cheap electrolytic rust removal system consisting of a battery or battery charger, a container of water with some sodium carbonate ( washing soda used for laundry) this will convert the oxidation into an iron phosphate coating which will help to prevent further rusting as well. You can treat just about any oxidized piece of steel or iron this way.

fishing in saltwater can rust your lures in your boxes after 1 day. :D spinner blades lose their chrome/gold shine on your way home after a long day and it'll be down to the steel after a week.

They make boxes with rust inhibitors built into the plastics. I think this is probably the same product used in VCI impregnated anti-rust paper/plastic sheeting. If you have some very expensive lures, you can buy sacrificial strips made to go on your hooks which draws the corrosion from itself...i think it's made by Owner or one of the other big fishing companies. The boxes impregnated with antirust compounds are made by flambeau, i think.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought some of you might think this is interesting. This is after being on vacation for just 10 days. Not all lures were used every day. All these were brand new when i started this year.

the the mirror shine of the blades is gone and the white tarnish is permanent, the corrosion on the hooks goes down deep, well into the metal.

effects of saltwater on tackle made for freshwater.

lures.JPG

At the end of a wet trip I always open up every tackle tray to let things dry out, even if the container looks dry. If a try has water in it I'll take everything out and let the tray dry out before I put the tackle back in. I'd say that my baits are 99% rust free with alot of those lures being 20+ years old. My buddies can't believe how clean my lures are. Take the time at the end of every trip, you'll be glad you did.

Another option to protect your tackle on the water would be to put it in a dry lock bag that canoer's use. Dry Bags Might want to wrap the trays in a towel to prevent the bag from tearing. I hope this helps