Algonquin Interior Trip - next week!!

Stoty

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has been (interior) camping on Booth Lake in Algonquin Park recently?

My buddy and I are heading there a week from tomorrow for our first interior fishing trip!

I was just wondering where the better sites are on the lake?

Also wondering how the fishing is right now?

We are after big bass/pike.

Thanks for any help!

*Stoty

I've tripped through Booth, but never camped on it.

The delta area where Mcarthy Creek flows in can be good for pike, as well as the delta of the Opeongo river. There's a large marsh right at the rivermouth.

Concentrate on pretty much any moderately deep rocky shoreline for smallmouth.

There's a distinct mid-lake narrows on Booth that was productive for me.

There's also good lake trout fishing to be had on Booth. If you bring a small portable fish finder with you it should be relatively easy to find a concentration of trout. If memory serves there's only 2 noteworthy deeper basins on the lake and that's where they'll be stacked.

Find the fish with your finder and jig for them with a stiff baitcaster and braid.

You can also troll utilizing a wolf river rig to get your lures down deep. Make sure the bell sinker is at least 2-3oz...

You don't need large lures to catch the lakers..

Spoons like the blue/silver Phoebe, as well as smallish sized stickbaits particularly in a perch pattern are good.

To add to my info here's a couple of trip logs with photos that concentrate on Booth and the surrounding area:

http://www.algonquinadventures.com/photos/...how6/booth1.htm

http://plato.wilmington.edu/faculty/jfitzs...onquin%20PP.htm

Have a great trip!

As far as picking a camp site goes, I would camp on an island only if it is fairly large. Smaller islands always prove to be too windy and the best firewood is often picked over by this time of year. It's been a wet summer so most of the downed timber will probably be too wet anyway. Just a couple of thoughts.

It's been a wet summer so most of the downed timber will probably be too wet anyway

Never thought of that.

What can be done in that situation? (If all the surrounding wood is wet)??

I dont think that you can take your own wood into the park can you?

You'll always be able to find dry wood.

I've been on expeditions for as long as 4 months and had fires every single day even when it was pouring rain.

One little trick I used (although I don't think it'd be a very politically correct method :) ), is to raid nearby beaver lodges for wood for my cooking fire.

Those bleached white wrist thick logs are perfect for cooking with.

Solo,

Have you fished any of the adjacent lakes on the east side?

(Ryegrass, Rumley, Mole, etc)?

Never fished those lakes. I did however paddle up Mcarthy Creek and make my way into Raja Lake where I spent 1 night. Caught 2 decent sized specks in there..

I left Booth via Chipmunk, Presto, Marshy, Mountain and Round Island lakes eventually into the bottom end of Dickson.

Most of those small lakes had brook trout in them. Round Island had lakers as well.

It's been a wet summer so most of the downed timber will probably be too wet anyway. Just a couple of thoughts.

Like solo said...there is ALWAYS wood to be found.

I camp Algonquin In the first week of May, which is only a week(sometimes only days) after the Ice is out, and the snow has either still been on the ground or just relinquished her grasp on the pines most years....thats its about as wet as it gets, and I've never had any issues keeping warm by the fire.

My advice...

bring an axe or hatchet, and a bow saw.

no matter how wet the wood appears, if its old, and dead it'll be bone dry inside...split it and she'll burn

Little hint if your unsure...

Push on it with your foot,

If its lighter then it looks the inside is dry, if its heavy thats the water weight still in it.

You'll find a ton of good kindling under the cedar bows as well...rain doesn't penetrate to the trunk as well as you'd think.

Have fun, Take A TON of pictures and be sure to post that report.

Cheers,

I guess you guys are right about finding enough wood, it shouldn't be a problem. But I have had the experience of camping on a small island site and having to paddle to shore to find wood. I guess that's easy enough to do but it sure cuts into your fishing time.

Another politically incorrect way of assuring yourself of dry wood is to cut down dead trees, especially pine. We usually check the tops first for any signs of green, if there's none, we snap a few branches; if they snap crisply it's a taker.

But enough on that topic, have a great trip!

Edited by robell

Thanks Rob, I made a mental note!

Cant wait to set the hook into some (hopefully) monster fish!

Only 7 more sleeps!

Also...for your trout guys.....about how deep will the Lakers be now? All the way to the bottom? There are a few parts in the lake that go down to 60 feet.

Also...for your trout guys.....about how deep will the Lakers be now? All the way to the bottom? There are a few parts in the lake that go down to 60 feet.

I'll guess you managed to aquire a depth map of Booth? Interesting 'cause I clearly remember one basin that was well over 100' deep.

In any case the lakers will be deep. Some right on the bottom, some suspended 20-30' up.

You can easily target these fish with large jigs, but it's imperative to find them first with a portable fish finder and fish very precisely for them.

It's extremely difficult to do that from a canoe when you've got any kind of wind though.

If it's too windy then troll for them with a wolf river rig.

My bad, the one part in the lake is 95' deep, with two other spots hitting the 60' mark.

I will focus on those areas if/when we try for lakers.

When you say "big jig" what type are you talking?

Jigging Spoon?

Bucktail?

Lead & Curly tail?

Thanks again for all the info, much appreciated.

My bad, the one part in the lake is 95' deep, with two other spots hitting the 60' mark.

I will focus on those areas if/when we try for lakers.

When you say "big jig" what type are you talking?

Jigging Spoon?

Bucktail?

Lead & Curly tail?

Thanks again for all the info, much appreciated.

Sometimes I'll use large jigging spoons like 11/2oz swedish pimples tipped with a dead minnow. Buckshot jigs in the larger sizes are good as well.

My preferred bait is a large predominantly white bucktail jig in the 11/2-3oz range with a stinger hook.

I'll cut a strip of belly meat off a small coarse fish, or one that I'm keeping for the table and tip the jig with it.

The extra bit of meat works wonders.

Here's one of my jigs:

a25.jpg

hmmmmm...I dont have any bucktails that big, but I am going to have to try and find some!!

do you know anywhere that carries them that big? I will check with the local tackle store in Pickering.

thanks again for the tips!