Bass Question

JohnF

Just finished TBayBoy's excellent account of wading the Grand for bass and it reminded me of a question that's been nagging at me.

What's a good sized rod for using plastic while wading creeks for bass? I've been experimenting with rods that I have lying around trying to solve this for myself. So far I really feel best with my Quantum 5 1/2' Lite spinning rod. It's got pretty good backbone with decent sensitivity but is compact for getting through the brush to the creek and lightweight for hours in the water. The short length makes it (for me) a more accurate caster even if I give up a little length. In my reading the consensus seems to be 7' rods for worms but I'm thinking that's more for boat fishermen.

I guess my question is really this:

What am I really giving up, if anything, by using the shorter rod?

Thanks

JF

I've fished creeks and rivers quite a lot and I think the rationale is fine---short rods are better for bush congested walks to the site and I'm thinking your not sacrificing much.

One day if you want a hoot--get a hold of a 8foot or better fly-rod (comes in pcs)--put an ultra-lite spinning reel at the butt-takes a little getting used to---when you hook even smaller fish--feels like you have a whale on--just an idea for fun.

Bushart

I've fished creeks and rivers quite a lot and I think the rationale is fine---short rods are better for bush congested walks to the site and I'm thinking your not sacrificing much.

One day if you want a hoot--get a hold of a 8foot or better fly-rod (comes in pcs)--put an ultra-lite spinning reel at the butt-takes a little getting used to---when you hook even smaller fish--feels like you have a whale on--just an idea for fun.

Bushart

The thought has already crossed my mind, but I thought it was just too weird. Of course, now I have to try it. Thanks :thumbsup_anim:

JF

Bushart

OK. This is too weird. I put a little bitty Shakespeare spinning reel with 4# mono on an old Mitchell graphite 8.5' medium (?) action flyrod that I have and took it over to the schoolyard to try casting. It's almost impossible to time the cast release. I'm going to try it with less weight (wacky worm) on and see how that works. I can see how it could be a lot of fun with a smallmouth hooked up. But I might have to get one of those fishergun toys to place the bait in the river. :thumbsup_anim:

Sure hope no one sees me out on the river with this.

JF

Bushart

I only fish for smallies with my 10.5 trout rod(2pc) and spinning reel with 6lb test line.

those 1lbers sure feel a LOT bigger on that combo. lol

You give up distance (probably not an issue) and line management (can be a big deal) with a shorter rod. I used to fish short, until I got a 7'6" light spinnng rod. I took a few inches off the handle so it's a touch over 7'. The big advantage is being able to keep more line off the water to get a better drift on light jigs and weightless plastics. It really comes into it's own when fishing across current that will drag your lure out of the strike zone really quickly if you can't keep line off the water.

It probably depends on the size of the river you fish in. I spend a fair bit of time fishing the Grand and so a 7ft rod really helps keep line out of the current as singingdog mentioned. It also allows for further casting, which is neccessary in larger rivers. But in a smaller river these 2 issues might not be problems for you. Personally I use a 7ft medium light rod and it works great for wading for bass or trout.

You give up distance (probably not an issue) and line management (can be a big deal) with a shorter rod. I used to fish short, until I got a 7'6" light spinnng rod. I took a few inches off the handle so it's a touch over 7'. The big advantage is being able to keep more line off the water to get a better drift on light jigs and weightless plastics. It really comes into it's own when fishing across current that will drag your lure out of the strike zone really quickly if you can't keep line off the water.

Distance isn't a real issue. The other makes sense though. In fact I noticed some crazy line movement yesterday when I was fishing across a back eddy trying to catch a seam on the other side of the creek. The line was moving in an s-figure so who knows if the worm was sinking naturally? I tried mending but it just isn't as easy with a 5 1/2 footer and braided line.

In any case I'm leaning towards a 7' spinning rod so I'll have two different lengths of good rods.

Once I get some locations nailed down this year I'm gonna start playing with the proper fly setup and your flies.

JF

I think a lot depends on the size of the body of water and how often you have to return to the bush to get to the next spot.

I am having a problem with a short rod and line management at the moment (see my post on reel recommendations).

If you can get away with a short rod or are in tight quarters then short rod is the way to go....they are fun too.

forrest

I think the bigger rod will allow you to flip and cast a bit farther and will help you get the fish out of cover. If I was wader fishing I would probably want a 7 foot rod or bigger since your already losing a couple feet of length due to being in the water.