New Curado best of show.

Garry2Rs

I Just saw this article and though I would share.

There should be some current model Curado's on sale soon...

Sorry the pictures in the story didn't copy.

The Shimano Curado E Series baitcasting reel was voted by tackle buyers and the fishing media to be the most innovative new product of all at ICAST 2008.

The Curado E series won the overall 'Best of Show' award, beating 695 new product entries across all fishing tackle categories in the annual competition.

Jeremy Sweet, Shimano Product Manger-Reels, holds the ICAST Best of Show winner - the Curado E.

Jeremy points out that there are several Curado E models overall (including a CU300E which is ideal for big swimbaits). However, the two Curado E models which will be of most interest to most bass anglers are:

CU200E5. Cranking 5:1 speed model lays 21" of line per crank

CU200E7. High speed 7:1 model retrieves 30" of line per turn

"The E5 and E7 both come in right and left hand models. They are all lightweight at 7.6 oz," says Jeremy.

"What we wish to emphasize to bass anglers about these new Curado E's, is they have the smaller profile of a '50 series' body with the higher line capacity of a '200 series' spool.," says Jeremy.

In other words, the big, bulky reels of only a few years ago, are unnecessary and obsolete. It used to be a big reel connoted strength, durability, guts and power. 'Used to be' is the operative phrase there.

The smallness provides an advantage in palming the reel. The Curado CU200 E5 and E7 reels almost melt into your hand and disappear while using them all day - and their power is second to none.

"The days of the big, bulky reel are over," says Shimano Canada's Bob Mahoney. "The Shimano Curado E is both lighter weight and smaller than many earlier, bulkier reel models, and more powerful than many heavyweight flipping reels. The Curado E's are incredibly small and light - but powerful as heck. They will withstand years of rugged use, and the spools have ample line capacity for even the heaviest lines."

"There's no sacrifice of durability. These have powerful brass gears," indicates Jeremy Sweet. "We've added a ball bearing to the drive shaft for increased strength. We've placed a 'shielded A-RB' bearing on the pinion gear. This area of a reel is where water is most prone to intrude. So we've eliminated that with the shielded A-RB (anti-rust) bearing there. Best of all, we've dropped the price to under $200," smiles Sweet. "So not only is the Curado E series the best new product across all tackle categories for 2008, it is also affordable for the tournament angler who demands the very best he can buy for under $200."

For most bass fishing situations, there is no advantage to using a larger reel any more. Quite the opposite. For casting or even flipping heavy cover all day long, the smaller, lighter yet incredibly powerful Curado E will give you an advantage over bigger, heavier reels.

I was looking at the spec's and it doesn't look good on paper to me at all. One of the biggest things we learned about making and buying reels in the last 20 years is they have to be rigid body or things get all squirrely and out of whack when the reel's under tension. This reel is plastic on both sides for the 100 and 200's. ...for $180. that's a no thanks.

This isn't a plastic reel. Only the side covers are graphite, the frame is one piece of aluminum.

I'm sure that not needing to polish the sides saves on production costs, which lowers the price to you and me.

If you want an all metal Curado, it's called a Chronarch.

In the article I saw them mention brass gears. I seem to remember a certain amount of sniveling

a couple of years ago when the Curado "D" series was given the new hardened aluminum gears...

The USA price is supposed to be $179.00 down twenty bucks from the $199.00 "D" series.

The reels are made in Japan, so a price reduction with a falling US dollar is amazing!

Guest lundboy

Hmmm looks very "cookie cutter" to me. Like everything else these days, cell phones, laptops, digital cameras, printers etc. There are probably only 3 Asian factories making reels, and Shimano seems to have jumped onto this style of production as well called ODM or Original Design Manufacturer.

The ODM basically has R&D, Manufacturing and Distrobution all rolled into one big Asian company that will produce a whole array of models of a type of product, printers for instance.

Then they setup a Showroom with let's say 200 printers, none branded, and a buyer from the major brands (HP, Lexmark, Sharp, Dell etc.) comes in and picks which ones they want branded with their names based on price and features.

I can see the same thing in fishing stuff, all you have to do is look at it. Reels, rods, lures etc. Is it coincidental that this new Curado looks like all the rest of the low profile reels, colorwise styling etc?

Shimano used to make great products out of Japan, but beginning with the 2008 model year they have shifted production to Malaysia? And there is definitely a difference in feel from the 2007 equiv models. Is it really worth paying the extra money for just a "brand" now? Time will tell I guess.

Oh well just my opinion, no proof.

I am not a Shimano guy and never will, but I have to say the E is a ugly looking reel compared to the others, BUT, on the other hand the specs and construction are very impressive. Price is great too.

A different color would probably be a nice touch, all GO no SHOW.

Just my 2c, sorry Shimano guys.

Daniel

This isn't a plastic reel. Only the side covers are graphite, the frame is one piece of aluminum.

I'm sure that not needing to polish the sides saves on production costs, which lowers the price to you and me.

If you want an all metal Curado, it's called a Chronarch.

In the article I saw them mention brass gears. I seem to remember a certain amount of sniveling

a couple of years ago when the Curado "D" series was given the new hardened aluminum gears...

The USA price is supposed to be $179.00 down twenty bucks from the $199.00 "D" series.

The reels are made in Japan, so a price reduction with a falling US dollar is amazing!

But the handle, main gear, anti-reverse rollers, etc are mounted on the side plate which is plastic here. that's like having a metal transmission then use a plastic differential to transfer the power sideways to the wheels. This is why reels specs always indicate "metal frame" and "handle side plate" or similar wording. Under tension and general wear, the parts will become sloppy and flex which is why medium sized and bigger are alway, without exception, mount handles on metal handle-side plates. "graphite" = nylon which to me is just plastic like the old "graphite" body reels. holy moly talk about body flex when you fish those.

I suspect the real reason they got rid of the metal side plate is to finally crack the 8 Oz weight barrier. I put big odds that the reduced weight of the new model and 7.9 Oz will be a significant focus of their marketing on this reel.

Yeah, i always watch the dollar too. I've been collecting USD every time it dropped for about a year now and i'm getting ready to blow it all in a few weeks time. ahaha.

Edited by j ace

Jace and a couple of others

I like the fact that a few of you are able to look beyond the brand name or an award/article and focus on what is actually inside a reel. It is a rare treat to see this, in this day and age.

I also like to avoid plastic for any of my personal reels, as it stands very true that they just will not stand up to consistent torque, repeated use if one is trully putting a reel through its paces and understands what happens on the inside.

I do find it cute that some bestow the virtues of a few key selling points without ever looking beyond who the pitchman is or who made a product. This is not meant to slam anyone or any company, but merely to hopefully have a few people at least begin to trully look beyond the exterior when looking at a reel or rod. This holds true for most that I see involved in the outdoors media across Canada at the present time, as they no longer seem to have te ability to look a bit out of the shallow end and dig a bit deeper....into what makes a product a ......keeper.

outdoorguy61

Jace and a couple of others

I like the fact that a few of you are able to look beyond the brand name or an award/article and focus on what is actually inside a reel. It is a rare treat to see this, in this day and age.

I also like to avoid plastic for any of my personal reels, as it stands very true that they just will not stand up to consistent torque, repeated use if one is trully putting a reel through its paces and understands what happens on the inside.

I do find it cute that some bestow the virtues of a few key selling points without ever looking beyond who the pitchman is or who made a product. This is not meant to slam anyone or any company, but merely to hopefully have a few people at least begin to trully look beyond the exterior when looking at a reel or rod. This holds true for most that I see involved in the outdoors media across Canada at the present time, as they no longer seem to have te ability to look a bit out of the shallow end and dig a bit deeper....into what makes a product a ......keeper.

outdoorguy61

What's a good all metal reel for under $200? I'm in the market for another baitcaster but I can't justify paying a huge price for something I'll only use a few days each year.

JF

What's a good all metal reel for under $200? I'm in the market for another baitcaster but I can't justify paying a huge price for something I'll only use a few days each year.

JF

In a round casting reel... seriously, get Snidley's daiwa CVZ for $150 in the forsale section. I want this reel but i'm having a tough time arranging to see it (he has no camera.) They're cnc machined bar-stock aluminum frame and both sides. lots to say about another company regarding this too. :D or :blahblah1: depending on what side you're coming from. If this is doesn't work for you, look at the ABU Record reissues in the smaller whiffle spool (non-HC) sizes for about the same price.

In a low profile, i would have to recommend the old Quantum Tour PT that's on sale everywhere for $129 even though i'm not keen on the maker (yet?). Both sides are metal on this one which is rare for a low profile and that's what makes this reel a little heavier than most...but for this price and only using it a few times/year, it's a good start. This reel has a few gearing choices so you need to decide what you want to do first.

Once you discover the line control you have with a casting reel, you might use it more than a spinning setup or whatever you have now.

JF

A used Chronarch or Calais.

I was looking at the spec's and it doesn't look good on paper to me at all. One of the biggest things we learned about making and buying reels in the last 20 years is they have to be rigid body or things get all squirrely and out of whack when the reel's under tension. This reel is plastic on both sides for the 100 and 200's. ...for $180. that's a no thanks.

The reel you are talking about has a web design which is actually stronger then most metal under stress. This is found throughout structures in every aspect of engineering. The plastic is actually better than the metal or solid machined framed reels of the past due to its ability to perform as a duel use reel for both fresh and salt water. Take your older reels in the salt water and see what happens to them. More metal parts in this one as most. Drag,etc. Older models have a graphite one. Clutch bar is also graphite. Old cardboard containers have the same ridgid webbing design that I'm talking about. Houses are built the same way in other parts of the world.

The weight has been reduced, more ergonomic fit for peoples hands than before. The color is pretty nice if you look at it. Same handles as the new core reel. Same handles and knobs as the Core as well as the same gearing as the Curado D series (HEG). I have the Calais, Calcutta, Chronarch and they are all great reels. Infact I'm not so sure that there is a reel out there that I have not owned at one point in time or still do. I take them apart and add drag components, spools, aftermarket handles etc. The sad part is j ace, me and you are in a small minority that are called tackle entheusiests for a reason. Shimano built this reel with alot of input from the general and average angler in mind. I agree the Daiwa reel being sold by Snidley is a great reel for the money. I have 3 of them still as well as the calcuttas. I'm actually a Daiwa man myself with just about every reel they make in my collection now but love when these topics come up. That reel will sell. If you look at the other curados from past years, this one exceeds them by a leaping mile.

THis reel was asked for by the public. Cheaper, saltwater safe, lighter, same price and there was a reason why it one at Icast.

You will find that reel on the same rack as a good 50 cent cigar and the 10 cent cup of coffee.

You should have been here in 1970...grin.

I'll just steal that Calcutta you don't know you have in the back bedroom.

JF

go with quantum. shimano is crap. the curado, citica, and cruxis are all cookie cutters. i like a reel that is different from the others made, but theat is build well, and has quality gears and bearings inside. i have 100% faith in my quantum reels.

Just read this thread and found some pics on the new Curado and it looks really impressive i also read they are Facelifting the Citica which looks like the 07 Curado

heres some pics i found

The new Curado:

picshimanonewcurado3.jpg

picshimanonewcurado1.jpg

Heres the new Citica:

picshimanonewcitica8.jpg

picshimanonewcitica10.jpg

go with quantum. shimano is crap. the curado, citica, and cruxis are all cookie cutters. i like a reel that is different from the others made, but theat is build well, and has quality gears and bearings inside. i have 100% faith in my quantum reels.

I found that Quantum reels are to heavy but i got my eye on there new Tour Edition PT which only weighs 7.0 ounces, the older ones i think hit the 9.5 ounces.

The reel you are talking about has a web design which is actually stronger then most metal under stress. This is found throughout structures in every aspect of engineering. The plastic is actually better than the metal or solid machined framed reels of the past due to its ability to perform as a duel use reel for both fresh and salt water. Take your older reels in the salt water and see what happens to them. More metal parts in this one as most. Drag,etc. Older models have a graphite one. Clutch bar is also graphite. Old cardboard containers have the same ridgid webbing design that I'm talking about. Houses are built the same way in other parts of the world.

The sad part is j ace, me and you are in a small minority that are called tackle entheusiests for a reason. Shimano built this reel with alot of input from the general and average angler in mind. I agree the Daiwa reel being sold by Snidley is a great reel for the money. I have 3 of them still as well as the calcuttas. I'm actually a Daiwa man myself with just about every reel they make in my collection now but love when these topics come up. That reel will sell. If you look at the other curados from past years, this one exceeds them by a leaping mile.

THis reel was asked for by the public. Cheaper, saltwater safe, lighter, same price and there was a reason why it one at Icast.

i know what you mean with strength by design but the sidewall is narrow and flat, and to use your cardboard example, what happens to cardboard when you push on it the right way? with one finger buckles like a sock. Yes, it might be built stronger than steel but only against forces in specific directions. The way around that would be to use multiplied cardboard but then you start getting big and bulky. You can only get so much strength by design in a given shape that thin, there are limits, after which, more strength can only come from a stronger material or building a bigger final product. The perfect example of strength by design would be an eggshell. We can't crush it by palming it and squeezing because the shape supports itself but one tiny poke inward and it's game over. I'm not trying to sound argumentative or confrontational but if this plastic and design were so good, they could also build the main frame with it and strip off another ounce or two. It most likely couldn't deal with multi directional torquing without building a frame the size of a grapefruit. hmmm. I like grapefruit. :thumbsup_anim: ...and then i would ask why not the spool then? Imagine the UL casting you could get into with such a super low mass spool. The startup inertia on the spool would be amazingly low, and so much cheaper to make too. The bad thing about strength by design is you also have to thin it out to mold in your supporting structure , and when you thin out plastics like that, it gets weak. I would like to see the kind of force it can take on a handle side drop before there was damage compared to a metal sided reel because the reel will have to balance stiffness and flexibility. i.e. to see what the balance between flexing and bouncing back from the hit and being rigid stiff and cracking the plastic. you can't have both. tensile strength vs malleability

As far as taking metal out on saltwater, I do it all the time. Saltwater casting reels have more metal in them, and a lot of them will switch to heavier metals like stainless parts. The most common metal in quality reels, as you know, is aluminum and if that has a problem in saltwater, you better get to the marina because there are tons of people with high dollar aluminum hulled boats out there in the oceans. ahah Alutecnos, Penn, VanStaal, Avet, John Baker, and Accurate should recall all of their $3000+ machined aluminum bluewater conventional reels. If anything, ocean fishing is where you need metal reels more than anything, not plastics. Ignoring corrosion as a factor, there's no way you could design a plastic reel that could take that kind of punishment. Large ocean fish, even the big chinooks in rivers, will rip out a few hundred yards, no problem..i don't think a plastic reel could take the drag heat or the line tension of a stand-up rod without exploding on you some day. I've been body slammed against the gunwale because i wasn't ready for a big head shake...I don't know if a plastic reel of any design could take that repeatedly. The only metal reels you can't use on salt the early magnesium reels, they're strictly freshwater, but manufacturers have gotten over that hurdle too by using better powder coating and fully sealing reels from salt air/water exposure. I understand what you're talking about though. I've fished saltwater for 1/3 of my life and I know how brutal it is on gear, but if you take proper measures, everyday rods/reels will do okay in saltwater. old new plastic metal aluminum...i've seen and used it all in salt. the trick is a good long freshwater sprinkling afterwards. I don't know if i'm stupid or crazy but I have 2 calcutta TE DC's, a left and right hand...I've been using the right hand exclusively in brackish and saltwater for a few years now. It seems to be okay but i'm still kinda waiting for the day the circuit is no good even though i do everything i can to clean it after each season. Maybe this is the year?

One thing i will go with you on is that this reel will sell but not necessarily because of anything technically good or bad, but becasue north america has so many shimano queenes. That's the most concise way i can say it. ahah. Shimano's marketing has a firm grip the freshwater fishermen on this continent. From watching fishing shows from around the world, i know they're not as big everywhere, especially with the higher end, boutique type reels we're into. It's like Sage here compared to worldwide ownership.

Where did you hear/read that shimano users asked for a good plastic reel? I'd be interested in skimming through that article.

was the ridgid tool company involved with your school as well? I noticed you spelled it that way like other engineers i know.