Minn Cota expert needed

HTHM

I aquired a new style foot pedal, the one with the propulsion switch in the middle, and am trying to use it to replace the old sewing machine style pedal that came with the trolling motor.

It looked straight forward, seven wires, match the colours and solder. i matched the colours, and the motor turns in the right direction, but the steering motor is not moving.

Any ideas???

the switching configuration is the same, push right to go right, left to go left, demand and constant on switch push down for demand yada yada yada.. Slide bar for speed control and so on. It also has seven wires controlling the circutry. So, IMHO it can be done. Just have to figure out which wire does what.

Thanks for the response!

the switching configuration is the same, push right to go right, left to go left, demand and constant on switch push down for demand yada yada yada.. Slide bar for speed control and so on. It also has seven wires controlling the circutry. So, IMHO it can be done. Just have to figure out which wire does what.

Thanks for the response!

I know what you are saying hometown, but, you already matched and hooked up all the wires. Its not magic. I see 6 possibilities here:

1) you broke a wire in its sleeve and did not realize it...use a dmm to check connectivity

2) you pulled a wire loose on the old motor, open it up and check connectivity.

3) you did a bad job of cleaning then joining the wires. Physical then solder connection is best (yeah...I am pretty sure you did it right).

4) Minn Kota changed their coloring scheme (unlikely)

5) The new pedal unit is bad

6) The new pedal unit is not compatible. I know squat about the pedals but its an easy guess.

get back when you find the culprit!

forrest

Use the power of the ohm to trace the circuits. I doubt you will find someone with the answer on paper unless they have done the same conversion. I read Forrest answer and it seems to be the correct one for this problem. You can search for how to use an ohm meter from google or the meters paperwork should give you a basic idea.

Art

Use the power of the ohm to trace the circuits. I doubt you will find someone with the answer on paper unless they have done the same conversion. I read Forrest answer and it seems to be the correct one for this problem. You can search for how to use an ohm meter from google or the meters paperwork should give you a basic idea.

Art

I have started the pain-staking task of figuring out the circuits with a continuity tester. I have one halfway figured out......

Thanks for the suggestion!

Well, I just spoke to a Minn Kota dealer and it turns out that my new pedal will not work with the old motor. The two components talk a different language.

So if anyone needs a spare V2 pedal, with the plug cut off, pm me and we can arrange for a pick up.