Don't Ever Leave Home Without It!

Rich

It was a beautiful day today so Sugarpacket, Splenda and I took a walk through the park and downtown to enjoy the day (and stop at Dollarama again). Splenda had a ball as he is now learning to walk (soon comes the learning to use a fishing pole stage!).

DSC01879.jpg

Anyway, before we left I stowed a fishing rod, some hooks & sinkers and a can of corn in the stroller.. because well, ya just never know. Even though the duck park for some reason this year has about 1/5000th the amount of carp it used to (don't know if they died off or what) you still see the odd little roamer around.

Well today I just happened to notice a big brute (for simcoe duck park) up shallow and on the feed. I grabbed my rod as quick as possible and baited up as fast as I could. To my surprise the carp stayed in close while all this was going on and as soon as the corn hit the water he was on it!

DSC01884.jpg

I can't say I've ever had a duck park carp fight as hard as this one did. It reminded me of a Lake Erie carp as it immediately peeled off probably 200ft of line. But I finally did subdue the beast.

DSC01888.jpg

DSC01892.jpg

Sure for those of you who fish carp on Lake O or the Kawarthas this isn't much, but this for me is like pulling an 8lb bass from a koi pond. These carp rarely go over 5 pounds. This is the biggest I've seen in the duck park since I was about 10 years old.

One thing we did notice was that this carp had an odd growth on it's snout. Not sure if it's a parasite or an old wound.

DSC01893.jpg

And of course she was released to grow bigger and fight another day.

DSC01894.jpg

DSC01895.jpg

So maybe the sudden lack of carp in the duck park has allowed the remaining ones to grow larger. I hope that is the case.

Anyway, don't ever leave home without a fishing rod! If I would have seen that fish and not had my rod I'd be kicking myself in the teeth right now!

Awww man....I don't know what is more unbelievable -- that the fish had 200 feet to run, or that you are capable of kicking yourself in the teeth!!!! :huh: Just kiddin around :lol: beauty fish....and little Splenda looks like he'll be quite the heartbreaker!