Temagami Area Ice..or Lack There Of Update

irishfield

Talked with Ron and found out that his trip to Rabbit Lake had been scrubbed thanks to open water last weekend...so I did some poking around to see what I could find out. I have a trailer load of lumber I'd like to drive down the lake this winter...but it's not looking promising.

As of Jan 5th they are still boating in from the Bear Island Reserve to the Mine Landing beside Loon Lodge. I'd imagine Fang's Nephew Rick is still boating his kids to the school bus from Ketchaneny.

As matter of fact this satellite shot from Jan 5th is showing the ENTIRE lake wide open...except for light ice covering thru the axe narrows and in the basin right at Hyw#11. Rabbit lake and Cassels lake are open up the centres. Temiskiming and Ottawa River wide open..etc.

Laketemagamijan52005.jpg

If you are heading out in the next couple of weeks.....just because we go into a cold snap in the next couple days...PLEASE don't be lulled into the thought that the ice is safe. Talk to your local outfitters, go fully aware and fully equipped. Hand picks ready, floater suit on, etc. As you'll read in Jim's fishing report from Dad's Outdoor store there's been a drowing up there already. Play safe people!

Wayne

THIS IS JIM's REPORT FOR THE WEEK

"FOR THE WEEK OF JANUARY 8th 2007

Good day to all and I hope your New Year has started out well and goes this way for the entire year. With all of the warm weather that has been happening in the North there is not much fishing to report on. But I will give you all of the information I have on some of the lakes in the area. As you all may have heard there has been a drowning related to thin ice on New Years day this happened on a river so this should be a warning to all, DO NOT TRUST THE ICE NO MATTER HOW IT LOOKS.

Cassels Lake people have been braving the thin ice conditions and heading out just off of shore getting into 30 to 40 feet of water and pulling a few Lakers along with a couple of Walleye. But from last reports the ice is only about 3" thick so make sure your equiped with something to number one check the thickness of the ice and number two FLOAT if you happen to go through. Myself I stick to the backlakes where there is only 3 to 6 feet of water below me as a just in case.

Whitney Lake just to the North of town people there too are braving the thin ice and getting a few Splake nothing big enough to write home about but nice pan sized fish. With the amount of snow on the ground so far you could almost drive back into any backlake you wish but make sure to let someone know where you are and what time your expected out or back home, better be safe than sorry. I have heard a report of one of our locals who in my opinion sits on his brains has been out on some of the big lakes and has went through about 5 times so far this year, you may be reading his Obit in one of my reports soon if someone does not put a leash on him soon. He apparently went through again last week around the Rabbit Lake area and had to break into a hunt camp for the night to try and dry out.

If your heading up please at least check in and see how much ice is one the lake your planning on going to and don't push it, if in doubt stay at home it's much safer there. The ice will come sooner or later it will be here.

And one thing to remember when fishing LIMIT YOUR CATCH DON'T CATCH YOUR LIMIT! Take what you need for a meal and no more they will be there on your next trip.

Take care and take time!

Jim Krech

Dads Outdoors "

Edited by irishfield

Yep Wayne,

Talked to Rick a couple of days ago. He's put the boats back in the water before Xmas and has been running them since. Good thing is he's getting more work done on the island that normally can't be done with all the snow and cold weather.

they had a couple inches last week but rain and wind blew all ice out in less than a day. He's missing out on a lot of business in his back lake (Diamond). Already had to cancel a few trips.

This is gonna be hard on the operators. Looks like cold weather s coming next week -19C high on the 17th

Go Ice Go