What's it cost to replace the battery in a Toyoto Prius?

John Bacon

How often do hybrid batteries need replacing? Is replacement expensive and disposal an environmental problem?

The hybrid battery packs are designed to last for the lifetime of the vehicle, somewhere between 150,000 and 200,000 miles, probably a whole lot longer. The warranty covers the batteries for between eight and ten years, depending on the carmaker.

Battery toxicity is a concern, although today's hybrids use NiMH batteries, not the environmentally problematic rechargeable nickel cadmium. "Nickel metal hydride batteries are benign. They can be fully recycled," says Ron Cogan, editor of the Green Car Journal. Toyota and Honda say that they will recycle dead batteries and that disposal will pose no toxic hazards. Toyota puts a phone number on each battery, and they pay a $200 "bounty" for each battery to help ensure that it will be properly recycled.

There's no definitive word on replacement costs because they are almost never replaced. According to Toyota, since the Prius first went on sale in 2000, they have not replaced a single battery for wear and tear.

Copy and pasted from a Google search... you really should try it!

Edited by Greencoachdog

How often do hybrid batteries need replacing? Is replacement expensive and disposal an environmental problem?

The hybrid battery packs are designed to last for the lifetime of the vehicle, somewhere between 150,000 and 200,000 miles, probably a whole lot longer. The warranty covers the batteries for between eight and ten years, depending on the carmaker.

Battery toxicity is a concern, although today's hybrids use NiMH batteries, not the environmentally problematic rechargeable nickel cadmium. "Nickel metal hydride batteries are benign. They can be fully recycled," says Ron Cogan, editor of the Green Car Journal. Toyota and Honda say that they will recycle dead batteries and that disposal will pose no toxic hazards. Toyota puts a phone number on each battery, and they pay a $200 "bounty" for each battery to help ensure that it will be properly recycled.

There's no definitive word on replacement costs because they are almost never replaced. According to Toyota, since the Prius first went on sale in 2000, they have not replaced a single battery for wear and tear.

Copy and pasted from a Google search... you really should try it!

When I started reading your reply Glen, I thought wow, does the coach ever know his crap when it comes to batteries and Hybrids...I was truely amazed :clapping::clapping:

Then I scrolled down and read the part:

"Copy and pasted from a Google search... you really should try it!" :whistling::wallbash:

Edited by TroutnMuskieHunter

When I started reading your reply Glen, I though wow, does the coach ever know his crap when it comes to batteries and Hybrids...I was truely amazed :clapping::clapping:

"Copy and pasted from a Google search... you really should try it!" :whistling::wallbash:

... and if the Google can make a dumb ol' redneck like me look smart... imagine what it can do for you!!! :w00t:

When I started reading your reply Glen, I though wow, does the coach ever know his crap when it comes to batteries and Hybrids...I was truely amazed :clapping::clapping:

LOL Exactly what I thought when I read it

Carefully consider the total cost of ownership before buying a hybrid. It might be a "feel good" purchase but the economics rarely work out in your favour (of course we're talking about a hybrid vs. the same vehicle in a non-hybrid version and not a hybrid vs. your current gas-guzzling ride) :o