Lower Buckhorn Report

Kawartha Kev

Well another 2 days at the cottage comes to an end. It sucks that I have to work weekends but it does have the benefit of little boat traffic on the lake during the week the only boats I saw the last couple of days were mainly houseboats and the occasional cruiser as well as the O.P.P. boat. As far as the fishing goes it was pretty tough with the high winds and I was not able to find any of my adversaries the mighty muskie but I did tangle with several bass both smallmouth and largemouth. The best of them was a large smallmouth in the 18" range around 3-3.5 lb. I didn't actually weigh or measure it but I think it was a good estimate. I tried to take photos but I was fishing alone and they did not really turn out very well but if there is an interest I will post them at a later date. The fight was a good one with several good jumps and runs lots of fun. The lake was very high and I was fishing rocky shorelines using a #5 Blue Fox Bucktail black with a silver blade.

Kawartha Kev

Edited by Kawartha Kev

Guest Johnny Bass

That 3rd one is a pig! Next time I am at Lower buck, I am going to have to target those bass!!! Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Johnny Bass

Thanks Johnny Bass but as I said they are not the greatest photos and they are all of the same fish so it can be a little deceiving. It is not my largest caught on Lower Buckhorn but was a good one as I estimated, I have caught a 22" monster smallmouth but it was not real fat and was close to 4 lb. but I didn't have the camera with me.

Kawartha Kev

• 1 month later...

Hi Kev...

Very nice fish and as was stated before, nice sunset.

I will be going to Buckhorn during the last week in August. Have not fished this lake before.

You mentioned you were in the lower Buchhorn area...could you give a newbie fisherman some clues on the areas that are good.

Dean (adfmarch)

Welcome Dean

Welcome to OFC and to Lower Buckhorn. It is not that large a lake and offers lots of fishing opportunities depending on what species you are after. As I have said in other posts beware of this lake it has lots of sunken rocky shoals once you get off the main channel especially on the north side of the lake so be careful. I fish around the many islands throughout the lake and spend a lot of time down in Black Duck Bay which is very weedy but has lots of spots along the shoreline but again be careful there are lots of rocks and many are not marked. Not sure where you are launching from there are lots of resorts and they should be able to help you out. If you have any more info maybe I can suggest something else.

Good Luck Kawartha Kev