Drift sock, how do I love thee?

johnnyb

So I got a drift sock for the canoe/tin boat this year. I've thought about getting one for a few years now, but I always doubted how effective it would be, and would it be a pain to use while canoeing? Would it take too much time away from fishing?

Weh-heh-hell!!! It is one of the best $29 I have spent in a LONG time --- took it out this spring, used a little carabiner to clip it to the back of my canoe, and this thing works like a charm! On a day when the main lake is whitecapping, and the only available shoreline still has winds strong enough to prevent any kind of decent cast/retrieve/drift, I put the sock out, and I'm just inching along. If the wind is at a bit of an angle, well, you might drift in to shore and have to adjust the boat every few casts, but you're able to work so much shoreline, that it's no big deal.

Is it a pain to haul in quickly if the need arises? Nope...there's a long strap that goes the the back of it, so when you pull it, it you're pulling the skinny end, dumping all the water out the fat opening. And the strap is a different colour than the rest...so even I can't screw it up! :thumbsup_anim:

Does it get tangled up or wrapped around anything? Nope...the most you have to do is give one of the straps a little tug, and it opens right up and starts pulling kinds of water. :clapping:

So yeah...that's about it. Since every time I go canoeing, the wind seems to be blowing across all the prime areas I want to work, I can now use that to my advantage!

And if someone doesn't show up here and buy a car real soon, I'm going to have to keep thinking of stuff I can post :blahblah1:

Well since it's out in my truck right now, lemme go check!......I got the MinnKota drift sock, for $24.50 + tax at LeBaron. Says it's ideal for 16'-21' boats, and its 34" deep, 22" diameter. So worth it!

hey cpguy....haven't had a chance to try them out in heavy weeds yet....only time will tell. I would think though, that as long as it deploys in clear water it should be fine. And if it's windy enough to warrant using it, the seeds ought to be bent over and out of the way as well.

M-hole -- I was on the verge of trying something homemade, but, I was in LeBaron's, there it was, all packaged so nice and neat....end of story :D

i made a drift sock out of an ikea bag

those ikea bags are IDEAL!!! works perfect for allowing us to get down to walleye trolling speeds of .8-1.5 mph! $1 for the Ikea bag and its worked for 3 years now! cheaper than a timmies coffee!

i made a drift sock out of an ikea bag

i've heard of this technique as well...

how do you fabricate the drift sock with the bag? do you need a wire to hold it open??

im going portagin this weekend, if you can send me details i will go to ikea, pick up one, test it, and report back...

sounds like a great idea

:thumbsup_anim:

How big is the Ikea bag? I have a Sobeys shopping bag that came in the mail for free I thought of converting into a drift sock.. since I can't show any loyalty to Sobeys by using their shopping bag, being that I work at their competitor, lol

the Ikea bag is made up of a tarp type material, simply take t pieces of rope about 2' each then tie on to each handle. the the loose ends to another piece of rope and there you go.. you got yourself one cheap but very useful driftsock! ive found that i have to tie it of to the side of the boat otherwise its a real pain for trolling cause you cant turn worth a darn if its tied off the back! i'll take a picture of ours later tonight when im on the water and post it sometime tomorrow!