Wireless carriers to add text charges

kickingfrog

Crappieperchhunter

I cannot see myself paying for certain things – one is text messaging. I do not walk and speak on the cell.

I have a cell phone from Roger and the cost is $9.95 per month. I keep it for emergency purposes. If something happens to my car in the middle of nowhere, I call phone CAA. There are many other possible emergencies. So ten bucks per month is not much. I have no contracts – it is month by month.

Included in the $9.95 price was voice mail – had it for 7 years. Then about 18 months ago, Rogers converted to the new format. After one year, my voice mail got cancelled – will have to find out why because Rogers said that I will have all services with the new format.

Of course I get only 18 minutes free per month.

I look at my cell phone as INSURANCE at a very low cost.

Carp-starter

I just cannot see me paying $.15 for each incoming message. At the same time, the same person will send text messages – I do not know the cost. And this is just to receive or send a message.

For 6 bucks at Bell one can get voice mail that will hold 5 voice messages. For 8 bucks, I think that 25 voice messages will be held. I betcha that this in most cases will result in lower costs than texting. So, everyone get voice mail and at the same time this will be telling bell and others to go to hull.

I heard about this story from a co-worker and I called Telus this morning. They said that I would be charged for incoming text messages even if I did not open the message...seems kind of unfair especially if its unsolicited or wanted - basically out of my control.

Now for me, since I don't use Text messaging (or web browsing for that matter) on my phone, I asked that they suspend/cancel these two services. To my surprise it was very easy and doable - and here is the best part, it was FREE - wouldn't be surprised if they change that too.

It only took two minutes to suspend the services once I got the operator on the phone :thumbsup_anim: .....

...but it first took about 15 minutes of being on hold :wallbash: .

oh god, wtg wireless companies.

If others havent noticed, our phone plans cost probably twice of what our neighbouring Americans cost. (well maybe im just exaggerating) but Canadian wireless plan prices have always been WAYYYYYYYY up high.

And the advice about changing numbers for taking out spam? what about the people that use their phones to get their business and a number change would lose them $$

if they can make plans a lot cheaper, then go ahead and put this incoming text charge on.

FYI for all of you, I worked at a call centre for T-Mobile (american carrier) about a year ago. They may have had cheaper plans (much cheaper in fact) but they also charged customers for both incoming and outgoing text messages ($0.15). I think it's ridiculous that we are charged for receiving something, but at least Canadians had the edge in that department for a while.

Who knows maybe the money the americans were making on those charges allowed them to offer the cheaper rate plans.

on another note.... They have Cell phones in Uganda??

FYI for all of you, I worked at a call centre for T-Mobile (american carrier) about a year ago. They may have had cheaper plans (much cheaper in fact) but they also charged customers for both incoming and outgoing text messages ($0.15). I think it's ridiculous that we are charged for receiving something, but at least Canadians had the edge in that department for a while.

Who knows maybe the money the americans were making on those charges allowed them to offer the cheaper rate plans.

on another note.... They have Cell phones in Uganda??

In many countries (and not just "poor" countries IE Sweden, Finland, Norway) the cell coverage is better/ more reliable than land lines.