Dead Carp on Katchewanooka

Was talking to a pro tourney guy who lives in Lakefield and fished Katchewanooka... was doing a pre-fish for a bass tourney for this weekend.

Hundreds of dead carp are turning up in the marsh and reeds. He counted eighteen dead carp stacked up in heaps in places.

Given whats going on everywhere else is it just a mater of time before everything on the Trent system is affected?

I will not be impressed if we have to dodge the carp with the boat again this summer on the tri-lakes!

Oh No...it seems the lakes that were spared the carp die-off last year are getting hit this year... :(

Don't worry Beans, there'll be more to take their places. Maybe this natural culling will leave more food for the survivors and make some nice 50 and 60 lbers.

Don't worry Beans, there'll be more to take their places. Maybe this natural culling will leave more food for the survivors and make some nice 50 and 60 lbers.

I dunno Dawg...even though one of our regular "swims" is still producing the fish seem to be smaller...(well the ones CPH has landed...mine were about 12 to 15 lbs but fewer) mind you he did get a couple around the 25 lb mark and two "mirrors"...too bad we stopped carrying our cameras but we got way too many pics of us with carp...Previous years the average fish was 20 pounds... :)

Going west it seems the virus has spread to lakes it did not reach last summer. Starting in Simcoe, it has spread into Couch & Sparrow. The eastern lakes affected last summer are starting up again, we were on Katchewanooka last year and saw some dead carp....virus went through Little Lake and the O river all through Peterborough had lots of dead carp on news reports....some on Rice. So has the virus picked up where it stopped in both directions?....little overlap in the East and almost exactly where it wasn't (Simcoe) on west Trent system?

Still no positive id that it is the same virus-curious as there are some dead catfish in the mix on Simcoe. Virus mutate-hope this doesn't spread to other species.

Oh man, my buddy rented a cottage for one week at the end of July on Katchewanooka and I'm supposed to be going for half of that week to fish for Muskie. Will this affect the quality of fishing? Should I avoid swimming in the lake?

Edited by Billy - Curtiss

I can't answer you question Billy but I'll add that Rice is getting it pretty hard right now as well. I buddy of mine fished a tourney there this past weekend and said they were starting to die off pretty good. White spots on the sides and slime hanging off of them. The ones that were swimming were struggling pretty hard. :(

Last year people swam in Lakes where carp were dying from the virus Billy. Be impossible to stomach it if floaters are washing ashore but if smell of dead carp isn't present you can swim.

I have the same concern, were heading to NW Simcoe for a week starting Saturday. Two young kids, cottage on the water so really hoping the die off is past its peak....anybody on Simcoe the weekend past?

Last summer on upper Buckhorn, Pigeon and Chemong Lakes I did not swim during the carp die off.

A coroner docks his boat at our marina and I asked is the water safe to be in... the good doctors reply was if your healthy and keep it outta your eyes, ears etc. you wont have a problem. :whistling:

There is this commercial parasailing outfit on Chemong and Tangled Lines and I watched as they "dodged the carp" on take off and landing.

A truly miserable experience.

As far as a two week clear up forget it. :wallbash:

The smell was unbearable.

Was worth the extra gas to drive up to Big Bald lake for a day or multiple days and swim/fish there. Very clean, no dead carp and great scenery. :thumbsup_anim:

Not the greatest shot I've ever taken, but the blotch in the bottom left is a carp in the middle of Chemong July 15th last year. Doesn't make me wanna slip into a swimsuit, but ymmv. :)

2647815249_d37a0b12f3_o.jpg