Outboard Motor Problem

holdfast

On mine you could still turn the flywheel with starter engaged.....

but what happens to mine is it gets jammed....... then you cant turn flywheel

Cause i believe is worn starter gear...

Id bet my lucky fishing hat that this is his issue :)

ifj it is the starter pinion, there won't be any mechanical clicking/knocking when he tries to start, maybe just a quieter click from a bit of play. that's another reason i asked if it clicks every time he tries the electric start. or if it's just one shot and that was it indicating the solenoid is working or not..

Check if the prop will turn freely when you are 'in neutral' - youd be surprised how often you are not where you think you are :)

But be careful if there is any resistance on the prop .. it could actually start if you turn the prop by hand when it is in gear ...

Not sure how old you said the motor was .. but I once opened up an Evinrude only to find a completely trashed piston that had come right off the push rod .. not a pretty sight but I did manage to fix it with spare parts off ebay

Ok I will definitely give you guys the problem as soon as the Mechanic has a look. So Ill sum up

2 weekns ago I noticed that when I started the Honda it sounded funny like there was a faint grinding. Later that day I started it and it had no power. I changed the spark plug and it worked fine.

Past weeknd it was working fine and I stopped the engine and briefly used the trolling motor. I then tried to start the Honda and it turned for a second then Dead. Not even a sound afterwards pressing the start button. Tried the pull start and I couldn't pull the cord. Went from Neutral to forward still nothing. It will not go all the way to Reverse. I then put a full battery and I get a start clicking noise but of course the fly wheel is Jammed. I pushed the starter gear down and away and still the flywheel is jammed. In neutral prop spins. In Gear absolutely no movement. The oils are good, and the belts are good. I took both spark plugs out and nothing. I have a feeling its a piston or lower gear problem. I'm hoping, maybe...just maybe a broken pin inside. The Honda is a 4 stroke, older model but like new and well taken care of and up to this point flawless.

Ok I will definitely give you guys the problem as soon as the Mechanic has a look. So Ill sum up

2 weekns ago I noticed that when I started the Honda it sounded funny like there was a faint grinding.

well this changes things a bit. a bearing on the crank or connecting rod could have let go. how many hours on the engine? were the spark plugs damaged at all?

• 2 weeks later...

Well i found out what the Problem is. Apparently one of the magnets came off the fly wheel and jammed it. The shop is trying to see if they can order just the magnet, or if I have to order the entire flywheel. Also I was told thast I should change the timing chain. Didnt even know it had one.

Timing chain a.k.a the rubber timing belt at the top between the flywheel and camshaft, if they are taking off the flywheel, then it may as well be done, takes about 30 seconds to change the belt. As for the magnet, I've heard of that on the larger motors, the glue gets a bit warm and then lets go.