Quick Pigeon Lake report

ehg

Hi folks,

Went with Mikeh from this board to try a bit of fishing on Saturday at Pigeon Lake.

The morning started off early with rain and thunder forcing us to wait a bit till it settled down,

once it calmed we ended up rain free the rest of day.

Mike ended up with his first bass of the season even though it was puny.

IMG_0001-13.jpg

Caught some more largemouth and smallmouth on topwaters but nothing substantial,

so didn't take many photos. They were about this size.

IMG_0002-18.jpg

I did hook into a larger fish but it wrapped around weeds and lilypads and came off.

Tried musky casting and trolling but nada.

Finally took the easy route of jigging for walleyes. Ended up getting some little ones and one larger one i kept for dinner.

IMG_0003-18.jpg

This one turned out to be good eating.

IMG_0005-17.jpg

IMG_0001-12.jpg

Bluegills and rock bass were hitting the walleye jigs as well.

IMG_0006-15.jpg

It was supposed to rain but we caught a good break and got to enjoy a relatively quiet day on the water.

cheers,

ehg

great report Ehg, there is a lot of structure to fish on Pigeon with lots of different species as people can see in your reports. Erik also had a hit on his bait when we were trolling by a hump.

Edited by mikeh

Nice report fellas.

I notice your using some big jigheads. I'm just wondering why so heavy?

I jig up a lot of eyes from the kawartha's, and my method is to go as light as I can for the conditions.....but I don't even own a jighead that heavy?

Looks like you's had a fun day!

Sinker

Thanks for replies, wasn't really the best fishing that day. No musky or BIG bass despite anticipation.

Had good weather and caught a good meal anyways.

I notice your using some big jigheads. I'm just wondering why so heavy?

Sinker

Usually i use 1/4 or 3/8 ounce jigs but was to lazy to tie on a stinger hook. That 5/8 ounce jig was already tied.

With that size at least i always contacted bottom of lake and still caught fish. I'll have to pre- tie some stinger hooks,

on smaller jigs next time. :huh:

Hmm.....you run a stinger on your grubs? Interesting. Doesn't it get tangled in the tail?

I might have to try that :)

Sinker

Hey Sinker, i find a i get alot more fish with stingers and alot more nipped off tails without them.

I tie my own stingers on with a heavy braid ( about an inch long) and really tighten the knot and push the knot w/ stinger up near the jig barb, so it doesn't interfere with tail of grub or whatever plastic.I always put half- worm between jig hook and stinger as well. It helps with the catching. :Gonefishing:

ehg