Where to head out on saturday near hamilton

modny

hey all, new to the board here, but def not new to fishing.

spent alot of time in northern ontario as a youngster camping and fishing on the interior in and around the missinaibi river.

fishing up there is easy, u dunk a line and u get a fish. around the hammer is a different story.

recently got a new honda 30 hp for my16 ft aluminum so i'm lookin to get out on th water this saturday.

was thinking of trolling crank baits in the lower grand towards the mouth of eerie or workin the dam jigggin some green twister tails.

also thought of heading out towards 50 point and flat lining/ rigging for whatever i could get wtih some spoons lymens or some large jointed raps.

where's all the action these days ? got a couple nice catfish out at caledonia dam a couple weeks back.

P6140144.jpg

P6140142.jpg

not sure of the weight, but they sure had my ultra light rod keeled right over into the cork. thats for sure

anyways, thanks! :Gonefishing:

Well if you get past the toxic waste fumes the fishing can be great, lol

Used to get a lot of pike off Lasalle Park. Fish about 12 - 20 feet of water near any weeds you can find, look for bait on your fish finder if you got one. Trolling's productive, casting's more fun!

Indeed, LPB has it all. I don't know why I didn't mention that. Pike and bass til your arms fall off, not hard to locate either.

You'll just have to contend with quite a bit of boat traffic here.

ive never ventured out into eerie before. i hear its in ur best interest t have a graph when u go out there. i'm still working on that.

long point bay sounds like it could be fun...

i stilll think i might be heading to lower grand tho, only because its the maiden voyage this year and i gotta see how this motor performs.

i'lll probably be heading out towards lower grand.

what kinda tackle should i run in there? any hot spots?

I normally use smaller crankbaits in there (fat raps, walleye divers, hot n tots) .. some use worm harnesses but I havent tried it yet .. if the troll is slow you can find some drop offs and try jigging for them .. if its your first trip out in the boat make sure you have ALL the safety equip. .. the OPP have been out there alot checking boats for licences and safety equipment

as far as hotspots the walleye are everywhere .. I try to troll in the 10-12 ft .. good luck

ive never ventured out into eerie before. i hear its in ur best interest t have a graph when u go out there. i'm still working on that.

long point bay sounds like it could be fun...

i stilll think i might be heading to lower grand tho, only because its the maiden voyage this year and i gotta see how this motor performs.

If you end up fishing the lower grand come down to Fishmasters to launch and remember to say HI and introduce yourself. Guys are still catching a variety of fish down here and the weather has been pretty awesome, even with the recent Thunder storms... Perch are now biting at the end of the Port Maitland pier as well... so if you get tired of trolling you can always anchor and see how you do there if it is a calm day!

Cheers, Jen

Edited by Jen

sounds good guys. thanks for the help. i'll prolly troll a crank bait down the river ( prolly gold/silver depending on water color/weather) then maybe try our luck around the mouth of eerie for some dinner perch.

jen, do u work at fishmasters? maybe i'll come in and grab a couple doz minnows and see whats up.

where can i find links to how many fish i can catch and keep? sorry, i'm a newb.

i dont think eating a grand river walleye is in my best interest tho is it> hahah u could just imagine cutting it open and having like slime and mud pour out of it./

sounds good guys. thanks for the help. i'll prolly troll a crank bait down the river ( prolly gold/silver depending on water color/weather) then maybe try our luck around the mouth of eerie for some dinner perch.

jen, do u work at fishmasters? maybe i'll come in and grab a couple doz minnows and see whats up.

where can i find links to how many fish i can catch and keep? sorry, i'm a newb.

i dont think eating a grand river walleye is in my best interest tho is it> hahah u could just imagine cutting it open and having like slime and mud pour out of it./

You will probably find Darrell working the shop at fishmasters, and he will definately point you in the right direction.

When you are in there have him give you one of the New 2008 fishing guides, they are free and in them you will find all the information you are looking for.

In regards to eatting fish... I know a lot of fishermen and women... and am one myself... Unless you are catching and eatting fish everyday for Breakfast , Lunch and Dinner I don't think you have anything to worry about. The walleye you pull out of the Grand and Lake Erie are definately pan worthy... Try one and see for yourself before making a decision though...

Cheers,

Jen

If you want really local, flat-line around the lift bridge peir, Hamilton side. Tons of bait fish in, shad and emeralds. So far I've seen several different types of fish cruising close to the peir. Seen a chinook, pike, gar pike, brown trout. I've only caught a couple sheephead so far, but heard of some browns being caught there recently. Give it a go.

ive seen a couple boats fishing around the channel near the pier 4 launch before. didn't look like they were hookin into anything though.

if i head down to the bay where should go?

any lure suggestions?

ive seen a couple boats fishing around the channel near the pier 4 launch before. didn't look like they were hookin into anything though.

if i head down to the bay where should go?

any lure suggestions?

Lot's of pike around there early in the season, I never saw anything over 30" but I'd always catch 3-4 in a few hours after work. With the warmer water look for fresh weed edges, I hear the N.Shore of the bay from LaSalle all the way to Eastport has been doing good.

May_05-Pike1.jpg

There's always sheepshead around, I'm seeing them caught everywhere (Pier 4, LaSalle, Carp Barrier, Lift Bridge....)

May_06Pike008.jpg

And ofcourse, there's carp. ALOT of carp. They can be fun, but man they're ugly :D

FuglyCarp.jpg

Tons of fish in the bay these days. If you do head to the Grand, it's been a few years since I fished it but trolling small white crankbaits would catch everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. I never knew what I was going to hook next. Pickeral, catfish, sheephead, even caught a steelhead in July. Big-O or Spro's in white.

hey thanks for the reply.

i think the overall deciding factor will be the weather on saturday. o i'll really have to play it by ear.

i figured u could only catch fish in the bay with a gob of worms and a bell sinker.. hahah