Complete noob here, looking for as much info as you care to give

dylandddd

I did some fishing when I was younger, but I really know nothing.

This summer I have the opportunity to spend some time in Georgian Bay, at Christian island. I'd like to be able to fish for dinner as much of the time as possible, but I'd like to stay pretty close to the shore of Christian and the surrounding islands because its a small boat.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=christian%20island

1. I'm wondering what I can catch in this area, are there maps that show where you can catch certain fish?

2. I have no equipment, what do I need to catch those fish?

Hopefully I'm not asking for too much info. :whistling:

Thanks guys.

Bass, pike, crappie and walleye should be available in that area from shore. Focus on water deeper than about 6 feet for quality fish (not always true, but a good guideline). As for equipment, your budget is the limit. Also look for crisp green weeds, or irregular rocky structure which could mean an underwater point, rocky shoreline with wind blowing in, steep drop offs, or anything that provides a transistion from bottom composition (i.e. a sandy bottom leading to a muck bottom where weeds are growing, with possibly some large rocks thrown in to create pockets in the weeds or rock piles on the sandy bottom. These areas attract all sorts of fish species.

If you are new, start with smaller lakes, it is just common sense, less place for fish to hide.

Go to lebaron, they have some decent combo for $60.

Invest in a use fish finder, to track down weedbed, once you found some weedbed or structure or shoal, stick to it for a while before giving up.

Use jigs and grubs for they are cheap to use. Slow retrieve is the key.

Use 8 lb mono line, to start with. It is cheap as well.

As Babyherc mentioned from 6-12 feet deep to start with.

Work hard! Cast and retrieve till you get the hang and the feel of what is underwater. Many times in life, hard work is one vital key to success!

Try to hook up with other more experience angler here, they will be able to give you some tips.

I don't think anyone in life learn it the easy way. You miss out, there weere tons more fish when you were young and easier to catch fish then. It takes dedication and passion to do well in this sport today.

If having dinner is your main goal, you are better off buying the fish at your local market, saves you both gas, money and time. Having food on the table and being on a pleasant convenient environment is a bad goal to get into fishing!

Thanks for the advice guys!

If having dinner is your main goal, you are better off buying the fish at your local market, saves you both gas, money and time. Having food on the table and being on a pleasant convenient environment is a bad goal to get into fishing!

I'll have plenty of time and I can work hard at it, so that won't be a problem. Even if it ends up costing me more to fish than to just go to the store, I'm in it for the experience.