Pflueger Baitcast Reels

Might be getting a Pflueger baitcast reel. Can people that owe them give me some information on them. How would they be for someone new to baitcast outfits.

Thanks

Thats the reel info:

3 stainless steel ball bearings

One-way clutch instant anti-reverse bearing

Reinforced graphite frame and sideplates

Machined, ported, and anodized aluminum spool

Adjustable magnetic anti-backlash control

Titanium line guide

Main gear applied star drag system

Soft touch thumb bar spool release

Gear ratio of 6.3:1 & holds 100 yards of 12lb. test

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Pflueger, reels work well, i have the trion model and love it, i also have a matrix pinnicle that is just amazing , as well as a quatum accuristII which i don't like much at all, all are new this year, so i can compare them equally, i think the pflueger would make a nice choice for a starter baitcaster, a good rod makes all the difference as well , i would opt for a med action 7 foot one piece, very versatile for most fishing conditions, or med heavy, fast tip of course.Lots of practice in the back yard will help you out with learning to cast it and remember to thumb the spoool, try setting up a pail in the back yard and try casting into it , moving it further away as you get more accurate, this helps the frustration of bird nesting it , also remember to set it up for every different lure weight with the little dial on the right side of it, when releasing the the bail button the lure should drop slow and even and when it touches the ground it should not nest up , if so readjust, hope this helps you and good luck with your purchase.

Bought a Pflueger Supreme Baitcast Reel a few years ago and its a very decent reel.

Sort of nostalgic for me. I have my Dad's Plueger from the 30's and my brother bought a Pleuger Supreme in 1958 and still uses it to this day (50 years old this year!!) My first reel that I bought when I was 16 (many many years ago) was a Pflueger Trump.

If the new baitcasters are anything like the Pflueger President spinning reels they will be an awesome bang for the buck reel.

>>> Reinforced graphite frame

that's the last thing you want to see in a baitcaster or any reel for that matter...I would avoid this model. I'm not saying only a bar stock machined frame is acceptablel, even if it's cheap cold forged or cast metal frame, at least it's metal. almost all shimano's, actually all small shimano baitcasters that I know of, are cold forged and cleaned up on a mill, at best. You have to get away from Shimano to get into all machined frames and bodies.

I have a summit and it's okay, not the smoothest thing in the world but it's a good little reel and i would recommend it for the price. .

I bought a Triton early last spring. Mounted it on a Compre 7' MH rod. Great setup. I use it a lot, and have no complaints. Did take a bit of getting used to as for the birds nests (newbie to baitcasters), but now that I have it dialed in it is great. I would buy another one for sure. A handy tool to get is a baitcast pick to help untie the nest. I also back mine up with white or yellow electrical tape (using Power Pro 50 lbs. line) so that I can see when I am near the end.

I just bought the trion yesterday and was casting around today. So easy for a firstimer. i was hitting targets within 15min. Feels like a pretty good reel but i don't have anything really to compare too. :dunno: . But all in all seems to be a great reel for a pretty good price.

Pfleuger is an old and reliable name in reels. They are not overly popular under their own name, but I believe they brand name quite a few reels for BPS. I would think anything they make is decent quality, but a baitcaster reel with only three bearings is very low end by today's standards. Even the cheaper BPS, Browning, etc reels have anywhere from 7 to 10 bearings in them for smoother operation.

If you are just starting to use one, make sure you get a model with adjustable magnets and also spool tension. Then, learn to set up the reel for each weight of lure you plan to cast with it.

Avoid casting into the wind unless you have good thumb control....or like knitting!