Awesome Filet Knife

danbo

For 300 dollars.... I could by a 13ft STREAMSIDE float rod, with an okuma Sheffield float reel and probably 2 rapala cheapies that I could lose or someone could toss in the sink, or borrow to clean a fish for a shore lunch on a rock or pier without me losing my mind LOL.

Edited by Canuck2fan

Nice. It becomes a family heirloom worthy of being passed down from generation to generation.

I'm pretty sure that's the guy a friend of mine bought a knife from not too long ago, just before he (my friend) died, sadly. Not a fillet knife, just a camp knife style in a leather sheath. It was a piece of art, and so it should have been for $300. I have a sneaking suspicion it's just sitting in some of his stuff in the attic or on a closet shelf now but I haven't the nerve to ask about it. I suppose I should say something though, just so it doesn't get sent to Goodwill or given to some kid on the block.

JF

I am getting better....Youtube has helped in that regard.

You have to take your wife and kids out and all catch about 20 perch each... Then you will have enough fish to practice on. You get the least squeamish of the children to play the game by telling them how much fun it is to take the skin off....

Then after 50 times of doing this when you will NOT LET them do them the filleting part they will be begging you to do it Saying they can do it so much better than you. You let them and agree right then and there that they are so much better at it than you. Suddenly they are doing all the work and you as the dad never really have to learn how to fillet them properly. That is how it worked at my house anyhow. LOL

Edited by Canuck2fan

You have to take your wife and kids out and all catch about 20 perch each... Then you will have enough fish to practice on. You get the least squeamish of the children to play the game by telling them how much fun it is to take the skin off....

Then after 50 times of doing this when you will NOT LET them do them the filleting part they will be begging you to do it Saying they can do it so much better than you. You let them and agree right then and there that they are so much better at it than you. Suddenly they are doing all the work and you as the dad never really have to learn how to fillet them properly. That is how it worked at my house anyhow. LOL

LOL....this is great.

that might be the greatest idea i've read on this board... just gotta sort me out some kids

I am getting better....Youtube has helped in that regard.

Practice is definitely the key. Watching videos gives you some ideas but not the feel of the blade running along the back, skin, or ribs.

Which youtube guys did you watch? There are 2 who are excellent, one seems to work for a commercial fish processor, or possibly a trawler outfit.

Most of the youtube guys are mediocre at best but think they're amazing, and a few are just awful and have no place calling their video educational. The youtube videos are the first things I thought of after somebody made a comment to the effect that a lot of people think they're rapala's gift to cleaning fish in the fillet knife thread. ...I laughed out loud at one youtube guy showing us how good he is with his electric knife technique. I think it was a big crappie and he made crooked shallow cuts that left 1/2 the meat along the spine. it was hilarious.

that might be the greatest idea i've read on this board... just gotta sort me out some kids

I gotta tell you I was so happy that I was finally ALLOWED the privilege of being able to fillet instead of skinning that I never even saw it coming. That was like 30 yrs ago and to this day my father has never cleaned a fish LOL.... So it does work!!!!

Practice is definitely the key. Watching videos gives you some ideas but not the feel of the blade running along the back, skin, or ribs.

Which youtube guys did you watch? There are 2 who are excellent, one seems to work for a commercial fish processor, or possibly a trawler outfit.

Most of the youtube guys are mediocre at best but think they're amazing, and a few are just awful and have no place calling their video educational. The youtube videos are the first things I thought of after somebody made a comment to the effect that a lot of people think they're rapala's gift to cleaning fish in the fillet knife thread. ...I laughed out loud at one youtube guy showing us how good he is with his electric knife technique. I think it was a big crappie and he made crooked shallow cuts that left 1/2 the meat along the spine. it was hilarious.

You have to be "careful" though having an attitude like yours means you might just wind up cleaing all the fish..... I know I do wind up filleting everything myself because I can't stand seeing someone waste even a milligram of perch LOL

Three hundred dollars for a fillet knife ? ? ? My first boat didn't cost that much.

Three hundred dollars for a piece of art that looks like a fillet knife ? ? ? Then it get hung on the wall to admire not clean fish ! ! !

I have much better ways to spend three hundred dollars, like for expensive gasoline to go fishing and then I get to use my Rapala fillet knife (cost $6.99) :)

You have to be "careful" though having an attitude like yours means you might just wind up cleaing all the fish..... I know I do wind up filleting everything myself because I can't stand seeing someone waste even a milligram of perch LOL

I enjoy cleaning fish. big or small. I'm sure it would be a different story if i did it for a living and had to deal with it every day. In the summers, I clean fish every day, at least 1/2 of it is for total strangers. :D