Pontoon Boats

jigger08

I am considering an 18' pontoon boat for fishing and putting around.This would be instead of a 17-18' aluminum V hull.Most fishing is done on lower Lake Huron and within 20 minutes of shelter.Traditionally a pontoon seems to be a small water vessel but I'd love the space and versatility a pontoon boat can offer.Will I regret this choice or not folks? Sorry folks I'm new here and almost forgot(thanks for the edit feature)to say hello and I'm looking forward to jumping in and contributing where I can.

Edited by jigger08

Ive always said that one day I would like a pontoon boat with a BBQ on it. Maybe some day. I guess it depends on the body of water. I think it would suit a smaller and calmer lake but who knows. Years ago , Lew and I ,our Dad and a few others would rent a raft in Bewdly on Rice lake every year with a BBQ and was always a good trip. We never caught any fish but thats anotherstory.

Its been my experience and talking to others an 18ft wouldn't be large enough. Especially for possible rough water. A boat that size might be ok for small lakes or protected areas. Would 20 minutes give you enough time to get to cover in a fast moving storm? They tend not to travel as fast a regular craft.

Look closely at the design of the pontoons. Diameter will greatly affect the floatation. How thick is the aluminum? Compare brands as well. Often you get what you pay for. 4 stroke power seems to work best on these.

Edited by Nipissing

Only ever fished out of Meely's "Loony Toons"...a 20 to 22 ft pontoon boat and If I ever won a lottery that would be high on my shopping list if he hasn't sold it by then...Lots of room to walkabout...would prob support a portable potty like Joey has and a BBQ...

Maribeth doesn't swim so is afraid of boats but I'm sure she would feel at ease on a pontoon...very comfortable to fish out of too in my opinion but it depends on what fish you are after...

Edited by Beans

I met a tackle store operator in Kingsville that owned one, not sure of the size, he said they were great and he fished Erie. The only thing I would suggest is be sure to not to underpower it when buying, alot of the package deals out there are underpowered in my opinion.