Fuel Consumption During Breakin Period

wgk36

Does anyone know, on average, how much more fuel consumption is increased during a breakin period? Maybe I was just spoiled with a little 9.9HP, but I find that the 40HP uses ALOT more fuel. I used to troll all day with the 9.9, and use about 2 gallons. Now, I am using the 40HP to get from spot, to spot. Once there, I use the bow mount electric motor. I used about 3 gallons in 1/2 a day and had to stop at a marina to gas up.

I have a 13 gal. internal tank on the Princecraft and the new 60HP 4 stroke and so far on 4 outings I've put in half a tank. Break-in is more expensive because of the constant change in RPM that they recommend.

Funny this post came up - I just got my 40 HP rebuilt and was told to go through 2 tanks of gas before it would be considered broken in. Since I troll a lot on Lake Ontario I need the motor broken in before I can do that type of fishing with it.

So this weekend I went out and tried to waste as much gas as possible (to get through the 2 tanks) by criss/crossing Georgina Bay at various speeds. After about 6 hours of this - stopping occassionally, I only managed to go through 1/2 a tank (about 10 litres).

I have 2 tanks on board - you should probably invest in a 2nd tank. Less time refilling/and peace of mind by knowing there is less chance of running out.

As many might know I have a 1985 50hp Johnson VRO outboard on my 16' Grumman. I am very satisfied with my mileage but of course more would always be better.

I have tracked my mileage for years using my odometer on my fish finder and here is what I get.

Cruising = 40-42 miles per 6 gallon can

Trolling = 30 miles per 6 gallon can

Since I have two 6 gallon tanks (portables) I have more than enough for any one day of fishing. Only once when I use to compete in Walleye tournaments on Lake Erie did I have to tap the other tank and even then I was on my way in only about 2 miles from the harbor.

I have no idea how many miles I get on a tank (portable) with my 40 2 stroke. I know I can fish all day long, and not have to worry about it though. My boat is prolly lighter though......less than 1000lbs anyways.

I can go to any kawartha lake, and fish from one end to the other, and still have gas in the tank. I find its quite good on gas.

I did a 32 mile run on simcoe one time, and burned just over 1/2 tank. I should really keep track, just for curiosity sake.

Sinker