Brookie Fishng

Mike Pike

I work in Waterloo and have several nice brook trout streams to explore on my way home to Hamilton. Got a chance to fish one yesterday for a few hours before that massive rain storm moved in.

Nothing nicer than one of our little creeks that meanders through the bush.

gallery_35_488_19039.jpg

After several casts with a tiny Panther Martin spinner into the main pool, nothing was doing. Drifting a worm yeilded nothng as well so my worst fear was realized; I'd have to go in to the bush after 'em! lol

Man, the mosquitoes were vicious and the bush was so thick I should have brought a machette! Anyhoo, did manage about six beauty little guys like this one for my trouble, so it was worth it.

gallery_35_488_50120.jpg

Also, saw a real biggun show himself 'neath an undercut bank. I tried and tried for him but no luck. Awesome to see some big boys in that stream and it'll certainly keep me coming back.

Edited by Mike Pike

Taste great is right, douG. I keep some for the pan from time to time and outside off a little salt and pepper and a light dusting of flour, there's not much else to do to 'em before throwing into a pan of hot butter.

And nice resident brown there, DonF. I thought the one big one I saw and mentioned in my report could have been a brown but I have never heard of any browns in the system.

Streams rule!

Mike, it my have been a brown, but perhaps that elusive large brookie we dream of. I'm a little concerned because Thursday I caught 4 rainbows, 2 browns and O brook trout in a stream that has historically been known for brookies. May not be a good sign.

Ya, I can appreciate your concern. A creek well known to trout fisherman in Brant County had primarily native brook trout. Browns and Rainbows were introduced into the system and it's veeeery rare to catch a brookie in that stream any more. The introduced species aren't the only factory challenging the Brookies but it's certainly one of 'em.

Edited by Mike Pike

Real nice vivid colours on that brookie. Good to see decent fish so close to urban areas.

Also, saw a real biggun show himself 'neath an undercut bank. I tried and tried for him but no luck. Awesome to see some big boys in that stream and it'll certainly keep me coming back.

Caught my PB creek brookie 2 weeks ago near Toronto after over 20 yrs. of doing this. Keep at it you will get that 'biggun'.

Brookie2.jpg

Thanks for report,

ehg

Congratulations on you PB there EHG. That's a real beauty and 20 years in the making, eh? WTG.

And Darius, you'll probably realize that folks on the board don't like to divulge their trout streams. These are usually small and delicate eco-systems with limited access so brook trout fisherman in particular are pretty secretive.

But here's the thing, there are a ton of brookie streams. You know those little streams that scoot under dusty county roads that you usually drive over without a thought. They usually have a culvert on either side of the road. Check out the downstream side in particular early in the morning and you might be surprised at what you find.

Good hunting!

Got them all drifting a worm( and tiny split-shot )under branches and undercut banks, Johhny. There was only one area that allowed enough casting space to use the spinners but the fish weren't there, so I had to go into the more 'jungle-like' stretches and just flip my bait into little pockets and holes.