Minaki Fishing Report

DonC

Just returned from last Saturday from Minaki.

The fishing was very good. Had my wife, 2 daughters and others to make a group of 10. Stayed at Birch Island Resort. Very good accommodations, equipment and food.

Fishing for smallmouth, I caught a 44 inch muskie and another in our group a 49 inch muskie. My daughter caught a 27 inch walleye also on a tube in 5 feet of water fishing smallmouth.

We had our best day for smallmouth, catching 145 for our boat. Personally caught 5 smallmouth 18 inches and larger for the week. Largest for me was 19.5 inches. Caught most on tender tubes, color was green pumpkin with orange flake.

The largest walleye in the group was 28 inches. Daughter and fishing partner both caught 38 inch pike.

The fishing is improving on the Winnipeg River. Not many fisherman out this year.

Good fishing for all fsihing Canada this year,

Don

My daughters also had a good time. Oldest daughter husband doing military duties so she came with us. My wife enjoyed their company. Fortunately they take after my wife in looks.

canada_035_320x240.jpg

canada_034_320x240.jpg

canada_075_320x240.jpg

UF,

I started taking them in the boat when they were around 4 or so. My youngest I probably took younger than 4, but do not recall if I had a boat then. Took my son to Canada on his first trip when he was about 6. With the short attention span, it is very important that they catch fish as quickly as possible, otherwise have something else to occupy them if the fish are not cooperating.

I do not recall things over the past 20 years precisely with the kids on the water. It runs together over time. My youngest daughter outfishes her "hunter" boyfriend usually, but at age 22 does not actively pursue fishing. I took her and the boyfriend out fishing after dinner one evening. I hooked the 44 inch muskie on a tube with 8 LB. test, and let her bring it in. She then wanted to fish for bass some more and started catching smallmouths.

So my advice is take them fishing, but be careful to not burn them out if they get bored and want to do something else at the time. Just take them routinely over the years and try to make it fun for them.

Don