Garmin Legend

Reef Runner

Ola amigos,

I was looking into getting a handheld GPS unit for when I go to back lakes or onto some new water. My budget is not very big so I am looking closely at the Garmin Legend. Opinions?

Also, what other costs will come with buying this unit (ie. memory cards, maps/chips, etc.)?

How detailed are hydrographics on these units, if available.

Thanks in advance,

reefrunner

The Legend is a decent solid unit I have had one for over eight years.

They don't take chips or cards but will upload Garmin Maps from a computer very slowly and only hold 8 megs.

The proprietary mapping software will cost almost as much as the unit ($150), currently I use Topo Canada which doesn't have hydrographic data.

The Blue Chart map software sold by Garmin has detail for the Great Lakes in Canada but little else.

Dan

wait a sec.. just to be sure we are talking apples to apples.

you are looking at the blue (sometimes camo) unit and not the yellow, correct? the yellow, while a capable unit that allows you to drop waypoints, leave a trail etc, does NOT have mapping ability.

Yeah, the Blue unit Raf. I've read many reviews and it looks like it will suit my needs. (keep fishing instead of searching where to go and getting lost amongst the islands and back bays, lol). Thanks for the reply, your advice is very much appreciated and inching me towards purchasing an invaluable tool.

8 megs works for me, you just have to be sure the area you are going to is loaded.

With the Garmin TopoCanada I use my computer to make waypoints on a map, points of interest like river mouths, islands and so on.

I load the area maps and waypoints to the Legend.

Then print out the map with the waypoints (on a lazer printer because ink jet runs when it gets wet)

Once underway I fire up the GPS and use it to orient to the waypoints, and also mark good fishing spots.

It is also a good idea to mark your campsite, launch or vehicle.

Dan

Hi reefrunner,

The basic blue Garmin is a fine unit - BUT - set your sights just a little higher and get a Garmin eTrex Venture HC. This is a colour unit that has 24mb of memory and a high sensitivity receiver (not that important on the water). The biggest feature is that it goes from a serial data connection to a USB. Most laptops today do not have a serial connection so having USB will make this a longer term investment.

Check out www.radioworld.ca. The basic blue is $135 and the one I am suggesting is $150. Easy choice to jump to a more recent technology with colour, better battery life, etc.

Cheers,

Barnie

Thanks a bunch guys.

I think I'll be satisfied with the Legend even though it has its disadvantages to newer units.

Thanks for your input Barnie, a main reason why I'm considering the Legend is a friend of mine can get me a considerable discount on the unit and they do not offer the one you have described. I have the old serial pin jack on my compuer so the USB feature (which may be remedied with an adapter anyhow) is not an issue.

I want just a basic unit that can take a beating and I won't be too concerned about getting damaged in the bush.

Another selling point, I've noted moosebunk in his last trip had one....If it's good enough to navigate for him and the Chippewa I should be more than happy with it.lol.

Again, thank you to all who replied, your knowledge and sincerity is much appreciated.

Solid advice from Barnie!

I have the Vista C from a couple of years back. It also has the colour screen which is very helpful in bright sunlight, better battery life, and 24 megs.

I find that I use it when traveling and when you upload city maps, the amount of detail and information requires the extra memory to get enough coverage.