Fishing @ Elora Gorge CA

stasbrute

I will be camping at the park this weekend with the wife and kids, will try to fish a bit. Alot of restrictions there, single barbless hooks, no live bait... any tips on what to use with spinning gear (not much of a fly fisherman, although I own a fly rod, and may try it out, I will likely use the spinning gear more). Actually its a no "organic bait" area, is Gulp considered an organic bait?

Grog,

Elora Gorge is a terrific place to learn to flyfish. There is an absolute abundance of small and willing brown trout. Tie on a light leader and any Elk hair Caddis fly and have a blast. Better yet, talk to one of the guys in the know that fish that stretch. They're usually more than willing to share some info and even a few flys. You may even get lucky with one of the many 20+ inchers around. If you're absoultely against the flyrod, small brown trout pattern vibrax minnow spins work really well. Just fan-cast in the fast water. Let us know how you make out.

T

I fish the area often with spinning gear. There are a lot of restrictions on the river but don't let that discourage you, you can still get some fish. Small spinners work quite well. I'm not 100% sure about gulp bait but I do not believe it's considered organic. I'm pretty sure that organic bait mean live bait and although Berkley claims it's better that live bait I don't think that counts.

Tim

Check the regs, if I remember correctly those restrictions don't apply in the park stretch of the river, only above and below it. We used to fish live minnows for pike in the park and used worms for browns not that long ago. The trick is finding a way down to the water without having to walk too far.

• 1 month later...