1st time ive caught walleye on artificials on Wabigoon Chain Lakes

limeyangler

Hi All,

went out for 5 hrs in the pouring rain yesterday afternoon, but well worth it, not huge amounts of fish but I learned lots from this trip.

The walleye in Lake Wabigoon have been slow to get going this year , great just after ice out 4 weeks ago, then nuffink!

I have never had much luck with walleye on the Goon anyhow, so usually i head up to a couple of lakes connected to the main lake by weeded channels to get into the Pike and bass on spinners, and that’s where i headed yesterday. I did stop briefly at my best spot for walleye on the way, which did not produce, so i assumed the fish were still holding up wherever it is they go after spawn/during spawn. I was gonna try a few spots suggested by another member but the rain was putting me off slow trolling around with the prospect of little return for my efforts.

The rain was relentless.....to make it worse...the new rain suit thingy my wife bought me ripped in the seam of the crotch as soon as i sat down in the boat ( queue for jokes) Anyway i hit my fav spot at the entrance of the smaller lake and tossed out the mepps for an hour with not even a hit, had one small perch follow it to the boat.

I moved to the other side of the lake, to try the little bays where I’d had luck last year. After ten minutes i had had a couple or three smallish pike. After an hour i realised that allot of the pike were following the lure but not hitting it, some nice size ones came right to the boat, looked at the lure...looked at me...lol...seemed to shrug their shoulders and swim off.

The rain finally stopped, and I wanted to have a cigarette and just relax a while so decided to fish lazy. I figured the pike were being finicky...strange for pike in my experience, so decided to go with a natural bait and presentation. I had some large minnows with me so opted for a bobber with hook as opposed to jig, using sliding sinkers to weight it.

not long after the first cast the bobber started to go for a little walk.....struck and got this guy

th_MVI_0866.jpg

I thought it was just lucky, like I said I never have much luck with walleye, even more so on Mile lake, and being focused on catching some nice pike I decided to change up again and try an X-rap to mimic live bait, giving a more aggressive presentation.

I cast out and second cast…..I get a follow right to the boat…not a pike…but a walleye!!!! I know a lot of you seasoned walleye fisherman are probably thinking…SO….lol….but for me it was an eye opener….never seen that before…..and have never caught walleye on artificial lures on Wabigoon chain of lakes, despite numerous attempts. Interestingly enough the PWT in Dryden where I live will be artificials only this year…cant wait to see the results.

Well I caught 3 nice size walleye in no time at all…and then it went quiet, but it all adds to my slowly growing knowledge of freshwater fishing. After it went quiet I just sat in the boat and relished being the only one on the lake.

WALLEYE ON X-RAP...A 1ST FOR ME

img_0831.jpg

img_0832.jpg

img_0833.jpg

img_0834.jpg

AFTER AN HOURS FUN WENT QUIET BUT REAL NICE BEING THE ONLY ONE ON THE LAKE

img_0837.jpg

I headed back home at about 8pm, on aproaching the shore i saw some bait fish jumping right on our little beach area, and as usual before packing up i always have a few casts after tying the boat up.

With my new found confidence in artificials i threw the x-rap out about 20 times without any luck, grabbed the the bobber, set it at 1' deep as the bait fish were in close and no sooner had the bobber settled it disappeared under. well the walleye that took it was tiny, in fact they all were..it was absolutely teaming with the little guys. I decided to try a twisty grub and got one sraight away, very small, but broke my artificial jinx on Wabigoon...will try more...guess its a confidence thing.

THIS IS WHAT THE TINY WALLEYE WERE COUGHING UP.....THE SHORE WAS BUBBLING WITH BAITFISH....GONNA HAVE TO BUY SOME OF THOSE PERCH MINNOW PLASTICS

img_0835.jpg

MY FIRST WALLEYE CAUGHT ON ARTIFICIAL ON WABIGOON LAKE

img_0836.jpg

Not huge or numerous fish today, but i have found a new method to experiment with, broke some new ground for myself.......all part of the steep learning curve of the last year since moving here...great fun!!!

Edited by limeyangler

Great report Simon

Glad you got some eyes

I am working on getting together with a couple of the In Fishernman pros to go pre fishing with them

when they come up for the tourney on the goon in aug

If you are interested in going out with one of them let me know and i will try to set it up

Rick

Thanks for the report... nice read there... may I suggest trolling one of these to get you more Pickereyes this year?

http://www.rapala.com/products/luresdetail...Both&live=1

A long cast and about 1.5 miles an hour should net you some fish... just be sure to use the smaller version in the spring and get bigger as the season rolls along! :Gonefishing:

Good luck!

HH

thanks for all the replies

Thanks Headhunter for the tip. I actually have one of those but left it at home yesterday. I did try trolling a deep diving rapala but no takers. Will try again though :)

Hey Rick...if you can set that up for me you are a legend, contact Sandy for my number and give me a call, or i'll get hold of her....either way that would be awesome!!!!!

Edited by limeyangler

i will see what i can do

one of my close friends here went out for a couple days at last years event with

if i remember right Scott Fairburn and he is trying to line him and maybe a couple others

that we could go out pre fishing with

Blimey, Limey! That was a great report! Last year, after almost exclusively trolling for them on the lake my parents live near, in Muskoka, I found the X-rap to be a deadly walleye presentation...also used a smaller lure -- a nice Yo-Zuire that really slashes side to side when retrieved. Had some of my best fishing in years with that approach.

Way to go :)