How to Repair a Rod Tip?

Pachone

Hi Guys,

I have 2 rods with broken tips :( I also have the replacement tips. How do i removed the broken tip and put on the new one??

Do i need to saw the old tip off? (ruin the flex & core of the rod?)

Do i just saw the old ring and brace and then sand down the rod and slip on the new ring?

How do i fasten it? Super glue? shrink wrap? pinch it? all of the above?

any help would be appreciated!

Pachone

PS. algonquin report is in the works.

You should be able to just rip the old tips by a little work.

if not, then saw the rod as high as possible (so its thin), and hopefully your new tips fit.

Super glue, or epoxy work.

Cant wait to hear the algonquin report!

My son just had his replaced here in MI at GM. They heated the tip and it came right off. If your tip is broke off take the rod in with you so they can get the right size tip to fit the remaining piece of the rod. Any tackle shop should be able to do this.

I just replaced the top 12" of a rod using the top of a rod that I snapped at the middle. Sawed them both off carefully, sanded the lower end down and super glued then slipped the top over. Rod is now a 7 footer and works like a charm.

The tip is usually glued on. With a lighter and a pair of pliers it comes off without any problems if its just the tip. If the rod is broken you may want to take it to a tackle shop and have them put a tip that fits properly. I replaced my St. Croix tip a few months ago, I called them and they sent me the crystallized glue and tip for $3. It took me about 2 minutes to replace.

The tip is usually glued on. With a lighter and a pair of pliers it comes off without any problems if its just the tip. If the rod is broken you may want to take it to a tackle shop and have them put a tip that fits properly. I replaced my St. Croix tip a few months ago, I called them and they sent me the crystallized glue and tip for $3. It took me about 2 minutes to replace.

Exactly thats the best way to do it

I heat my rods with a lighter, tip will come right off

But if your in pickering why not take it over to tightlines I am sure they will select and put the right tip on the rod for you (then you can see hows it done for the next time)