Getting a Rapala X-Rap Shad

Wen't out to the local store and wow a lot of these baits were sold out. I bought 1 for now to try. Thanks for the good tips and the next one i get will be the perch pattern. Will be sure to make a report as soon as i take a nice fishing trip. My next trip is a month from now. Thanks for the info.

Mike

Thats the color i got. The white one, looks like a typical baitfish and will cover most situations..

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Here's some theory...

In clear water, use baits that match the hatch, baits like Silver, Gold, Olive green, and Perch, etc ..

When in doubt match the colour of the bottom, because the bait fish will have adapted to that colour for camouflage.

In dirty water use bright colours, Fire-tiger, Clown, Hot Steel, Hot head, Hot Pink etc.

On bright days, use metallic finishes.

On overcast days there is no sun to activate the metallic finish, so switch to painted bright colours like Chartreuse, Clown, Fire-tiger etc.

If I could only have one, I think it would be Silver or Silver Blue.

I agree with one exception and that would be on overcast days use a GOLD color lure. This has worked time and time again over the years for me :)

Generally, I think color is far overrated. My system is usually to purchase a gradient of a couple colors from realistic and subtle to bright and gaudy. For hardbaits, I usually buy a silver/dark back finish, a white finish, and a predominantly chartreuse pattern. I make my selection based on overall visibility of the bait, as influenced by water color, clarity, and sunlight. I'm generally looking for something that that fish can locate fairly easily, but not see clearly enough to pick up flaws.

Edited by Burning Babies