Getting a Rapala X-Rap Shad

I know you need many different colors of lures just wondering if someone has had more success with one color than another on the Rapala X-Rap Shad. Im only getting 1 for now to try out. So what color should i start out with please?

Mainly for large and small mouth bass.

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

i've caught a few pike and oos largies in the last couple weeks on the perch pattern. clown is another option that usually works well for pike... at least on the lakes that i usually fish it works well.

if you use them as a jerk bait, and not just a straight retreive, any colour should work... they have a great action if worked properly.

Edited by gone_fishin

I find colour to have almost no effect when it comes to x raps, it seems to be all about the presentation for me.

Same, and the Storm ThunderStick is good for less $. The # 76 LUMINOUS GREEN HERRINGBONE for me (other then Perch)...

Why not wait untill you win the private tourney....I will be sending the winner a shadrap and from the way you're talkin' you got this wrapped up.

or yes i could do that. got to make a new thread a little closer to tourny time. The old one got pretty big, and we got to do a poll and stuff.

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Here's some theory...

In clear water, use baits that match the hatch, baits like Silver, Gold, Olive green, and Perch, etc ..

When in doubt match the colour of the bottom, because the bait fish will have adapted to that colour for camouflage.

In dirty water use bright colours, Fire-tiger, Clown, Hot Steel, Hot head, Hot Pink etc.

On bright days, use metallic finishes.

On overcast days there is no sun to activate the metallic finish, so switch to painted bright colours like Chartreuse, Clown, Fire-tiger etc.

If I could only have one, I think it would be Silver or Silver Blue.

Here's some theory...

In clear water, use baits that match the hatch, baits like Silver, Gold, Olive green, and Perch, etc ..

When in doubt match the colour of the bottom, because the bait fish will have adapted to that colour for camouflage.

In dirty water use bright colours, Fire-tiger, Clown, Hot Steel, Hot head, Hot Pink etc.

On bright days, use metallic finishes.

On overcast days there is no sun to activate the metallic finish, so switch to painted bright colours like Chartreuse, Clown, Fire-tiger etc.

If I could only have one, I think it would be Silver or Silver Blue.

Garry-> I aways learn so much from your posts. Thanks for taking the time to share some of your vast knowledge with everyone here. I know I appreciate it.

Hey team mate -

Garry2rs gave some great advice! I know that like many of us you're on a budget when it comes to buying gear. So take Garry2rs advice and buy a few different colors to match different scenario's. (over time or course) I always buy my confidence colors first. For x-raps I get the silver/black x-rap first because it's a good imitator of most baitfish in the area's that I fish. So be it a sunny day, rainy day, or wether the water's clear or murky, at the end of the day it still looks like a minnow to any fish it crosses paths with. Whereas if it's a bright sunny day, in crystal clear water and you've only got a firetiger x-shad...well you get the point....My second choice would be a perch patterned x-shad (which I've seen catch plenty of walleye and pike). If you're looking for numbers, don't go with a GIANT sized x-shad. Get a smaller to mid-sized bait. Bigger fish will eat smaller baits as well, and you'll even catch some smaller fish to keep you going in-between. And keep in mind, size does matter. Earlier in the year, your baitfish, and perch etc. are going to be smaller than in the fall so a smaller sized bait might just "match the hatch" a little better. After that it's all about experimentation. I don't have any x-shads in any other colors right now, but pink x-raps have given me much more success in muddy water than clown...just my experiences though....best thing to do is just keep trying and experimenting. And even though having different colors for different situations can be important, don't forget about presentation. Sometime the way you work your bait is the ticket. So get out there and grab an x-shad. Work the crap out of it until you start catching some fish with it (and you will eventually figure it out) then you'll gain confidence in it and use it on a regular basis. I went down south a few weeks back and a buddy of mine said he wasn't going to throw anything but flippin' jigs all day just to get the hang of using them and to build up confidence. At the beginning of the day I was switching up like crazy, got 1 fish on a spinner bait, a couple more on a swim bait etc. etc. He wasn't catching much on his jig, missed a few fish, but stuck with it. By around dinner time (8 hours later) he had finally figured out the bait and in about hour or so he came back a whoped my butt catching fish after fish.

anyways - good luck and keep us posted!

cheers,

UF

I've had success for pike with clown colour patterns in all types of water. I've never owned an x-rap in that colour but I would be tempted to get one... Also I like patterns that imitate baby game fish like perch or bass.

post-3189-1212005132_thumb.jpg

This one works awwwwwwwsome.

If you can find the white one,you got a great combo.

The perch one, is I have to say, my fav of all. But I just use it for pike. Very strong baits. I will aggree with others that there are lower costing baits that will work just aswell.

BTW,Buy extra replacement back trebles. They do lose thier fedders.LOL

Edited by misfish