Removable/Portable Nav Lights

muskymike

Hey guys, I tend to be taking the 14'er out a lot more as I am exploring new waters all the time it seems.

I have been thinking about buying some of those portable Navigation Lights, the ones that clamp on for ease of removal and such. I have heard good and bad about them. Has anyone tried them or have them? Are they any good, mind you they only cost about $30 for the pair but its $30 I could spend elsewhere.

Thanks in advance,

I had them for the canoe and they worked great! Used them a few times while night fishing. They are inexpensive and easy to attach and remove. Bought mine at Canadian Tire....cant remember exactly how much they were though.

I bought the set from BPS and used them all weekend. I ran out of time doing the boat and had to as I didn't get lights wired and they worked just fine. Plenty bright - clamped them on at the start of the weekend and took them off at the end. No problems with them at all. Not sure though how quick they eat up the D Cell batteries.

You can see them here in this pic

med_gallery_67_323_13326.jpg

Yes they are expensive but $30 is less than the fines given out on Quinte one night I saw 3 boats get fines for no lights.

I have a set for a 12 ft tinny I just sold but I will keep them just in case I rent a boat and I can use them with the canoe.

Alright, sounds good enough for me, no more convincing for this guy. So now do I get the ones from CTC, BPS or the ones at the Marine Supply here in the Hammer. I am assuming they are all the same, just different packaging.

You would think that seeing as how we are using them on our boats they would make a good set that was waterproof...one season of infrequent use they were toast... :wallbash:

I had a similar experience.

You have to keep them dry, and take the batts out when your done.

Sinker

I borrowed a set from a friend once in Quinte. I had them on for 5 minutes and both stopped working. Make sure you bring spare bulbls and spare batteries. They also had a tendancy to come loose with the boat vibrations.