Moira River Fishing

Well normally fishing it the river has been good to me in the past years :)

But so far this year it has just sucked!!!

Been out everyday for last 10 or 11 days and have only caught one small bass :(

Dont understand whats going on..........

Any idea's? I hear its a late spring? Water temps???

Or maybe to early......... i dont recall being out this early in the previous years......

Water levels, barometric pressure, water temperature, lunar effect, luck, lures, presentation, speed of retrieve, who knows.

The bottom line is you are out fishing, I would be happy with just that. You are lucky to be so close to water, even though I am as well I never go fishing around here (Stoney Creek).

Keep Trying, your luck will turn.

if all else fails, try a grocery store :P

Water levels are back to normal.......

Ill keep punching away at it......... Can always venture to other waters to i guess............

Just nice to pull right outa backyard in boat and fish either way .........:)

Ill post some pics when i finally catch some this year :)

Hey Moira....I'm just one river over from you.......the Trent. ( My avatar is the dock out back of our property)

Keep in mind that bass is OOS for another 5-6 weeks and also that after the winter we just went through , complicated with the flooding, that almost all species are near a month behind on their normal habitats in our area.

Ive just noticed in the past few days the population of minnows at our dock and they should have been visible some 4-5 weeks ago.

The Crayfish havent even shown themselves yet...normally there should be 100's close in around the rocks.

Last year the carp were rolling, breaking water too, about 4-5 weeks earlier as well last year........I have seen pike right at our dock tho....(this year)

.....figure it may be just because of the warmer water there at mid-day and they are suning themselves.

Give it a litle time and they'll show up.......

Please, dont you be one of them fellas fishing OOS Smallies within eye sight of my place....Im really getting PO'd with them guys...

I now have the MNR's CO for our area on speed dial.

Keep at it..for IN-season fish and your sure to get a hit....just a mite later this year 'round these parts.

bNb

Edited by brickNblock

I dont fish OOS bass.......

Im fishing the holes i have pulled lots of pike outa..........and have caught the odd walleye from...

Makes sense on your post about fish being behind of there normal habbits.........

Im going to move more up north of the river though out the week :)

Were also having a largest fish tourny for fun on june 14th if your interested........... if you are ......let me know and ill pm ya the details.........

BBQ and Fire to follow after the tourny..............trophy to winner aswell................. I currently hold it :)

MRM....I've heard that the fish are late around that area too.

With the water level up and the cold weather, I'd suspect they'd still be deeper.

My Dad lives on the river; his group haven't done well either but are getting the odd walleye. All have been in deeper water or close to it.

Cheers

try slow shallow loggy areas the wallys should be around their getting some tans. but you risk smallies in these areas. if the water is colder then always fish slower and slower water. wallys will hang out in very small pockets in a river they can just angle their fins and not move their tails thats where they are ;) you just gota fin those spots!

I have a trailer on Moira Lake, have been fishing the lake for what I just started to be my 11th season now...I have kept lots of fishing journals for all different times of year and conditions along the way...fishing isn't all that behind this year..the water is still cold, and weeds haven't grown in atalot of areas but I found the fish to be right where I wanted them for this time of year, I was up there the 11th-13th and we did ok for pike and walleye in shallow water....spinner biats tippped with a 6 inch white twister was the key for both..yellow...yellow/white...yellow black skirts where the ticket ;)

This time of year when the water is clear and has that really black tint to it like alot of northern lakes yellow patterns are the ticket..later in the season when it is really weedy and there is an algae bloom on the water or they decide to let the crap go through the dam system.....white is the ticket.

try those chartruesse Berlkey Gulp worms too if you can find them...great this time of year for slow jigging the picks....lots of sunnies in the mix though and they eat the ends of the worms then they are no good <_<

I just look for areas where there aren't too many sunnies and bass around..was catching too many bass the other week from my back yard off the bank so stopped fishing there and decided to take the boat on a mission....some bass mixed in with the picks but if you find an area where there aren't too many sunnies and small bass..they are there..if ya catch too many little sunnies and stuff move on cuz obviously there is nothing in the area eating them...fish are in transition time...comeing off shallow spawning areas and starting to look for food. I am headed to my camp tommorrow night for a couple days...I will show ya some pics of what they look like when I get back :Gonefishing:

Edited by jwl

i was at the moira river up at roslin/ thomasburg area by vanderwater, huntin for pike but i was skunked.i went figuring they'd be there cause the water levels were high and more fish would come up the river but i was wrong.they were not there amd hardly saw bait fish around. i had a 00s smallie hit this huge jerk bait, i had a follow could not tell if it was a musky or a pike, other than that nothing.i tried everything from spinners tipped with soft plastics of different colors, jerkbaits and you name it.they just weren't there.tried for walleye- slip bobber with a small jig tipped with leach and nothing. well could be you guys a right that they are a bit behind and the waters are still a wee bit cold for pike.

Well had a great weekend........

Pulled out 2 pike..........and 2 walleye........

Seems they are in the 25 feet water mark...........although this walleye was caught in about 4 feet of water.

Cant wait to get out more this week :)

He's a pic of the larger walleye my buddy caught...

1_118.jpg