I finally purchased some braid line

MuddyWater

The line broke in the middle of the cast...no backlash at all. I just threw it and SNAP.....spinnerbait gone!

Happened the very next cast too. I found a nice kink in the line down deep in the spool on the reel. I am assuming that the "line slip" happened like it tends to do with PowerPro. I stripped all the line off, and dipped it into my kitchen sink, then spooled the bottom of my reel with 6 lb mono, uni knotted that to my PP, and am now finishing off the spool with flouro.

Hopefully this will solve my issue.

I emailed the company and they are sending me a free spool for my bad experience. Very classy and professional!

I am hoping to get out again this weekend, so we will see if the same thing happens.

FYI:

- wasnt a knock off line

- it was 20 lb with 6 lb diameter

- lures I was using were typical 1/4 oz spinnerbaits.

well, crow is tasting good. :D

nice to hear they are taking care of you though!

my 0.02c, not sure what kind of a setup you are running but i wouldn't go lower than 30lb for a baitcaster.

If making a cast while fishing is a User error....then guilty as charged. :lol:

(Line didnt break at the knot)

When trying to cast an OOS bass on 8# test for bait, no wonder. Who are you trying to fool Stoty? :whistling:

I use 80# and 100# for Musky and have never had a break off casting large lures including hours with the "Pounder" Bulldawg.

I agree with Bill, USER ERROR :lol:

Guest buick14

stoty:

I have experienced the same problem with the same company of braid................I really do beleive it snaps a lot easier if you hit a not midway, and I agree I think it may have something to do with the low stretch lack of shock type deal............I am not an expert when it comes to fluorocarbons and braids myself though....

I personally like the good old trilene sensation or XT for the shields lakes and rocks etc. they have never let me down! On the other hand, I started using P-Line evolution and CXX and has been equally as good if not a touch better so far......

anybody try the new berkley flurocarbon for like $19+ per 200yd spool ?? Is it good stuff .........?

When trying to cast an OOS bass on 8# test for bait, no wonder. Who are you trying to fool Stoty? whistling.gif

I use 80# and 100# for Musky and have never had a break off casting large lures including hours with the "Pounder" Bulldawg.

I agree with Bill, USER ERROR laugh.gif

And the point of this post was...?

Casting an OOS bass on 8lb test???

I dont recall saying anything about bass or 8 lb test... :dunno:

didn't read the links but i know for a fact that braid will cut up some modern guides if you fish them hard enough...which is why a lot of people have switched to specific types to avoid it. The titanium nickel wire RECoil guides will groove with heavy use but that's the price of having near weightless guides. RECoils are the guides found on some higher end factory GLoomis rods, both spinning and casting. and flyrods

Edited by j ace

If you're not getting tangled anywhere, I'm willing to bet your line release jolts the rod and/or lure. i.e. not a smooth casting motion. As everybody has said, there's next to no stretch in this line so a very hard and sharp jolt will snap it. There are also some knots not recommended for these lines because they cut into themselves and basically cuts itself off at the knot after continuous tightening.

Josh at Angling Outfitters was talking about this same problem with Power Pro. He seems to think something changed with PP braid and recommended other braids. This guy sells more line then anyone I know so perhaps there is more to Stoty's story then user error.

Thanks Vanselena.

It wasnt a user error, I know what I am doing out on the water.

Again.....the line didnt break at the knot......I know this because I retrieved the 3rd bait that snapped, because there was about 25 ft of line floating in the water, which I grabbed that had my bait tied to it.

I use the palmar knot, and moisten it when I tie it.

I have done everything by the book, but still have this problem.

Like I said before, hopefully the "mono-backing" on the reel, and the wet spooling of the line will fix the problem.

Mono backing is useful only if you are afraid of putting a piece of tape around the arbor knot tying your braid to the spool. This will stop the whole business slipping against the spool as you retrieve. I troll with long lines and like the braid to go all the way to the spool.

As others said, you need the Palomar knot or uni knot to tie your line to a swivel or hook eye, and the uni uni knot to tie on a leader of fluoro.

you need the Palomar knot or uni knot to tie your line to a swivel or hook eye, and the uni uni knot to tie on a leader of fluoro.

Which is exactly what I did last night. Lets hope that fixes my problem.

Thanks Vanselena.

It wasnt a user error, I know what I am doing out on the water.

Again.....the line didnt break at the knot......I know this because I retrieved the 3rd bait that snapped, because there was about 25 ft of line floating in the water, which I grabbed that had my bait tied to it.

I use the palmar knot, and moisten it when I tie it.

I have done everything by the book, but still have this problem.

Like I said before, hopefully the "mono-backing" on the reel, and the wet spooling of the line will fix the problem.

Come on now Stoty, Bill and I were just picking on you. We both know it wasnt user error. We are just pushin your buttons. Thats all.