bathroom wiring NF

Pinch

I am trying to figure out a wiring problem but find I need a little help.

Ill try and give as much information as I can here.

It is a typical bathroom with one GFI plug, one fan controlled by a switch and one light controlled by a dimmer switch.

There is a 12/3 wire from the dimmer switch (which controls the light) to the light. Then a 12/2 wire that runs from the light to the fan. The fan switch is pigtailed to the dimmer switch providing the power to the fan.

What I need to do is change the single light to two separate lights being controlled by the single dimmer light switch.

Does the 12/3 wire go to the first light, then the 12/2 wire to the second light, then the 12/2 on to the fan? Or do I need 12/3 to the first then 12/3 to the second, then 12/2 to the fan?

Or am I completely out to lunch?!?! <_<

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Does the 12/3 wire go to the first light, then the 12/2 wire to the second light, then the 12/2 on to the fan? Or do I need 12/3 to the first then 12/3 to the second, then 12/2 to the fan?

Regardless of how you do it... You need the 12/3 to go to the first light, 12/2 to the second and 12/2 to the fan... as you have two hot wires coming from the 12/3 wire

G

Edited by Gerritt

3 conductor from the switch to the first light, 2 conductor from the first light to the 2nd light , 2 conductor from the first light to the fan. (If the first light and the fan are staying in the same location then install a 2 conductor from the first light to the 2nd light)

OR

3 conductor from the switch to the first light, 3 conductor from the first light to the 2nd light, 2 conductor from the 2nd light to the fan.

Edited by Baldy

Up here, they're really cracking down on this kind of stuff. A journeyman electrician was killed here a while back because of some faulty home made wiring. Even on this small thread there's some discrepancy. Best get a pro to do it. He will have to take out permits and get the job inspected afterwards. Better safe that sorry, just to save a few bucks.

Guest gbfisher

Holy. For just adding a light to an existing wired bathroom you'd think it would be less than rocket science. lol...

Just add a 12/2 or 14/2 to the existing light in the ceiling and run it to where you want the second light. Connect the wires....(what ever color they are,,, :rolleyes: ,, ya never know about home electricians...lol) one to one from the old light to the new one.

GEEEES. anyone have any rocket making advice? :D

ya never know about home electricians...lol) one to one from the old light to the new one.

GEEEES. anyone have any rocket making advice? :D

My apologies. Please disregard my advice.

Ive been roasted several times :)

Call a electrian if your not sure............

If you cant wire a light............you should not be touching anything..... faulty wire jobs cause fires!!!

Fires cause deaths............ Deaths make people sad :(

Get the point?

Dan...I'm with you. There are a few things I don't attempt if I'm not sure about something. One is electrical stuff....I know how to do basic stuff, but if I'm unsure, I get my buddy over to do it.

The other thing is brakes on the car....I keep getting told they are easy, but until I learn how to do it properly, I'm not putting me or my family in jeopardy to save a few bucks.

faulty electrical jobs can kill, ask a firefighter, but ask your insurance agent who pays for the damages if there is a fire and nobody gets hurt, find yourself a legit electrician who will do it for cash, theres lots out there just make sure hes reputable, piece of mind will offset the cost of the job

Guest gbfisher

Pm from Pinch.

Wow thanks for you help there, it was really helpful. I just wish I was as smart as you!! not

Your welcome any time yer in a Pinch :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by gbfisher