Todays Toronto Metro

mdej

For those of us in the GTA check out todays Metro commuter paper.

On page 18 there is a sidebar titled Metro Top 5ive. Long Weekend Foods. "#1 Large Mouth Bass, straight out of the lake, cooked over an open fire"

Source: Metro Thursday May 15th 2008. http://www.metronews.ca/Toronto/Edition (pg. 30 in online setup)

It uniformed tibits like this that make people think, hey when I'm in Muskoka/Kawartha's etc this weekend I will catch me some large mouth and grill it up for a snack. For the informed fisherman we know that bass fishing is not open in most areas until June.

Seeing things like this annoy me. Just wanted to rant a little to get it off my chest.

Edited by mdej

I just sent an email requesting an immediate webpage retraction and correction in tomorrow's paper and encourage everyone to do the same. We have far too many fishing violations already without the "help" of a widely read publication.

Fight for your fishery!

I did as well....if anyone wants to, here's their information from their website....

Metro Toronto

1 Concorde Gate, Suite 703

Toronto, ON

Canada

M3C 3N6

Phone: 416-486-4900

Fax: 416-482-8097

Map to Metro Toronto

Editorial E-mail:

[email protected]

[email protected]

Letters to the Editor / Reader comments:

[email protected]

Advertising Inquiries:

416-486-4900 ext. 321

[email protected]

Distribution and Readers Services:

416-486-4900

[email protected]

message sent to all 3 email addy's.

Hello.

It has been pointed out to me that there is a rather large mistake on page 18. It states that Large Mouth Bass is the # 1 long weekend food. Bass is out of season and the Ontario fishery is overly abused as it is. We do not need others adding to it by fishing for an out of season fish because of something they read. Some people do not even know that a license is needed to go fishing. I urge you to make a posting on your web site correcting this as well as in print tomorrow. If you need to pick a fish then please pick one that CAN be fished for like Perch or Crappie. Thank you.

Here is a message board with its members being urged to write you on this matter.

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19459

Geoff W

Before I had posted this thread I had emailed the editor link posted above. I was looking on the website however I could not find the side bar on the website itself. Hence why I posted it here instead.

This is a free rag that you get on the Toronto subway right? Not that it makes it less wrong, but you are getting your monies worth, I suppose.

Let's see now.. 3 million riders daily. A considerable percentage of riders reading this publication, fond en comble. I think someone should get canned for that blunder!!

yikes

HD

This is a free rag that you get on the Toronto subway right? Not that it makes it less wrong, but you are getting your monies worth, I suppose.

Correct free daily you can pick up at any GO, TTC or most downtown street corners. High distribution and readership. Regardless of the cost its is a print media for news and thus people rely on it for information.

Okay so after some more looking there is and online version of the paper.

http://www.metronews.ca/Toronto/Edition

In that link you have to actually flip to page 30 in the online viewer (because todays edition has an New Homes supplement). Left hand side of the page, click to zoom in.

Its a little slow method of looking at the paper, however if you want you can download the PDF version by clicking on the menu and saying download PDF.

Why would you want to eat a bucketmouth anyways.

In my opinion (and i'm sure many here would agree) there are tastier fish (Perch, Pickeral and Crappie) in most Bass lakes that usually have less worms to pick out.

I am embarassed to think I used to read that rag on the way to school.

Email away!

RJ