Outboard motor oil

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Does anyone know where to get cheap outboard motor oil? I heard BPS discontinued the cheap oil they were getting.

I have seen motomaster no namer for $15.00 at CT, but opted to get the Formula1 for $20.00

Is there any place cheaper?

Guest Johnny Bass
I buy the Pennzoil oil when it comes on sale at bps, I think it's on sale now.

I heard Synthetic oil can damage your engine though. What do you think? Apparently I was told that if you don't use Synthetic oil right from the beginning, you shouldn't use it????

Guest skeeter99

no it does not matter if you use sythenic or regular oil at any time, even if the engine was only using regular 2 cycle oil from the begining

been doing it for years in snowmachines and my outboard

all sysnthetic oil is really, they take out the bad hydrocarbons(molecules) usually found in cheaper base oils

think of it this way A molecules B molecules C molecules

they remove the B and C molecules and all that is left is A molecules and is very pure oil with the best lubricating properties, plus extra additives and detergents to keep engine cleaner

synthetic oil is better than conventional oil almost in all catergories, but personally I think they charge way to much for it!!!

and on the plus side your motor wont smoke as much and some oils (amsoil) when it is burning in a snowmachine smells like strawberries

Edited by skeeter99

Guest Johnny Bass
no it does not matter if you use sythenic or regular oil at any time, even if the engine was only using regular 2 cycle oil from the begining

been doing it for years in snowmachines and my outboard

all sysnthetic oil is really, they take out the bad hydrocarbons(molecules) usually found in cheaper base oils

think of it this way A molecules B molecules C molecules

they remove the B and C molecules and all that is left is A molecules and is very pure oil with the best lubricating properties, plus extra additives and detergents to keep engine cleaner

synthetic oil is better than conventional oil almost in all catergories, but personally I think they charge way to much for it!!!

and on the plus side your motor wont smoke as much and some oils (amsoil) when it is burning in a snowmachine smells like strawberries

Thanks Skeeter. You sound like you know what your talking about. I guess what some say is not true then? I was even told this about my car engine. Not only does it eat away b and c molecules but at the O rings. :blink:

I just don't wanna be stingy and have to pay for it later down the line. My engine is fairly new though and in great shape. I also noticed there were 2 kinds. One for new engines and one for older engines specifically, that may be less corrosive?

I think I will give it a try.

Whenever I switch vehicles or boats I put the brand of oil I want and only use that brand for the time I own that vehicle, the Pennzoil on sale at BPS is a synthetic blend. Just make sure it has the acceptable code for your brand of engine (mine was wc3)

Guest skeeter99

most of those higher mileage or older model oils have more detergents and stabilizers in them to help protect a worn engine

synthetic oil does not eat seals or o rings(it is still the same oil modified to remove impurities)

a bad seal is a bad seal

but if your car leaks oil, I have seen some engines leak a little more with synthetic mainly due to it be less viscus(more watery) example pours more fluid like campared to convetionsl that goes glug glug out of the bottle and usually a heavier weight oil in the engine will resolve the problem anyway

I run the manufacturers reccommended oil in my Mariner. I find it burns much cleaner, and doesn't carbon up the engine at all......hardly.

It costs more, but I think its better oil.

If I use the cheap stuff(moto master, no name etc.), there is a killer cloud of blue smoke coming out the exaust, and a slick on the water. With the Merc oil, I don't get any of that, and the smoke that does come out isn't as thick....or blue.

I buy it in a 5gal jug, usually once a season. Last one I got for $50 off a buddy.......that's cheap. Usually its around $35/4litres.

Sinker

Check out Walmart if you have one close. I have been using their brand "Super Tech" or whatever it's called for about 10 years now. No difference than Johnson's blend in anyway other than color. I believe it's about $7.99 per gallon US funds.

Castrol Super Outboard /tcw3 rating I sell it everyday for 16.99 /gallon..

If you ask me Synthetic Injector oil is a waste of money... the oil and gas mixture doesn't spend enough time in the combustion chamber to really make a difference..now If we're talking four stroke ... Synthetic is well worth the $$$..

Burning Synthetic oil { IMHO} is burning $$$.

Randy