Walleye and Leeches

Hookset

Just wondering about fishing with leeches compared to minnows or worms. I know when everything is normal, you fish with minnows early season and late, and use worms in the summer (or not :) ).

But do leeches have their "hot" time as well ? I haven't used leeches in years but I bought a bunch of the new gulp leeches in 3" and 5" and they look like they'd be great on a spinner rig or a jig.

Would like to give them a shot this Saturday on the opener here. Anyone tried them ?

Thanks,

Hookset.

3-8 ft of water..back bays off spawning grounds... warm water areas first of the year...

Now I have done this with a minnow, hook and splitshot and it works great...STEALTH mode...but I was talking to a knowledgable dude and he swears by leaches using the same pattern...the way I see it it's gotta kill fish..I'm tryin it Sat morning...we were up the lake on Sun and the bays off the spawning grounds are 4-6 degrees warmer than the main lake..around 45 surface temp...

and by the way I also picked up a pail of those Gulp leaches, I couldn't resist...they look SWEET and it will save on the cold hands in the minnow bucket...assuming they hold up???

Are minnows good for right now to use?

Also where did you get your leaches?

I usually use minnows this time of year but I like the looks of these leeches.

The 3" leeches in a tub I got at Walmart and the 5" came in plastic packs that I got in Tremblays in Orillia.

Put them all in the Tub and made awesome leech soup !!!

Hookset.

I usually use minnows this time of year but I like the looks of these leeches.

The 3" leeches in a tub I got at Walmart and the 5" came in plastic packs that I got in Tremblays in Orillia.

Put them all in the Tub and made awesome leech soup !!!

Hookset.

Wal-Mart sells live leaches? hmm

hi guys me myself i prefer minnows and crawlers in the spring summer and winter.....i find leeches in cold water roll up into a lilltle ball with little action....minnows seem to be the best producer with a worm being a close second for me...i find the presentation (movement) and color of jig being used is even more impotant...those walleye cant resist that up and down motion...

Hey,

I think its a matter of preference in the end. I have always found that either will work, right from opening weekend to the end of summer. Ether being worms and leeches, because, well minnows always work, especially big ones in the fall. I think its the tail at the end of the lure you are using that attracks them, either worm or leech. We always go with both, and we love using jigs and leeches and spinner rigs with worms, both will equal success.

• 7 months later...