Searching for Software Converting AVI Files to DVD format

dsn

I'm searching for a program that can convert AVI files and other files into DVD format. I did a search and found a few but not sure which one is good. I don't feel right playing AVI files on my laptop just incase the DVD/RW drive kicks. It will cost more to replace the DVD/RW on my laptop than it would cost to replace a DVD Player.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

dsn

Why not just buy a DivX-enabled DVD player? Easier than converting, and much cheaper than wasting a DVD-R for every single AVI.

Philips has been making nice (if slightly cranky) models for $60-$80 for 4-5 years now. Last year, I upgraded to a beautifully stable Panasonic machine from Futureshop for about $90. You can pick them up at places like XS-Cargo or Factory Direct sometimes for about $50. Just make sure the box says certified for DivX-ULTRA to get the latest version.

With these machines, you just burn the AVI files straight off to DVD (or CD) media like you would any other data file. Whack the disk into the player, and pick the video you want from an onscreen directory listing. Easy as all get out, and cheaper too - you can fit 6-7 standard movies onto one DVD-R if you leave them in AVI, and it doesn't hurt image quality. You can also use these units as MP3 players.

lol

I think all of us pirated software at some point in our lives.

If you actually go out and buy software it gets really expensive, even the simplest programs.

I used that X to dvd program as well, very easy and straight forward to use.

Now i have a dvd player that plays divx files and no need for me to convert files anymore.

Now i have a dvd player that plays divx files and no need for me to convert files anymore.

Until DVD makers pay DivX to change their codec so everybody needs to go out and buy new players :D

For quick encoding I use ImToo AVI (similiar to AVI2DVD, only easier), if I want a higher quality movie with lots more options and editing features I use TMPG Plus. It is very slow however.

Ok I deciced to go with Cucusoft AVI. It cost me $34 bucks. Easy to use and run.

But boy oh boy it's "Killing me !" :D It has an option to chose Highest Quality or low quality. Not know much .. I chose Highest Quality output. I have 11 AVI's I want to convert to DVD. This first one has taken me more than 8 hrs. And still going. I had no idea converting would take forever. Maybe I'll be done when I'm 100yrs old. :lol:

I rather go fishing. :) Bring on the warm weather!!

dsn

Guest lundboy

Yes converting takes a LOOOONNNNGGG time on older machines. Is yours a few years old?

NeroVision will convert a bunch of files (queued up) to make one DVD. Nero 8 is about twice the price of CuCu (I bought CuCu as well at one point).

You can get a 30 day trial from nero.com

Nero is ok, but has it's issues as well (like overiding most of your existing codecs with it's own)

The freebies already mentioned here work great, although they take a bit more work in some cases.

Site to reference for video conversion procedures and tools:

http://www.afterdawn.com/

or

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/al...-dvd-converters

A more powerful machine is definitely an asset when doing any video conversion. Even something like this makes a huge difference: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/sea...CCODE=CANEM1134

Edited by lundboy

After trying converting.. and my laptop ran out of space.. I decided to email Cucu and ask for a refund. Let's hope I get one. Since I only purchased it Friday night. I told them what was happeing and that I wasn't with the software.

I didn't know converting 6 AVI files on one dvd, to a DVD format I would be burning all 6 AVI files to 6 DVDs. Does this mean AVI files are more compact than DVD format?

I have given up anyways my laptop can't handle it.

Dsn

Thanks for all the help

AVI files are downright microscopic in comparison to full-blown DVD. A big movie with lots of extras can push upwards of what, 8 gigs? A standard movie in high quality AVI usually runs 700 megs or so. The only way you're going to get 6 movie-length files onto one disc is to leave them as AVI, and play them in a DivX-enabled machine.

Converting AVI to DVD isn't going to make the picture look any better. It just ties up your computer for ages, makes it work much harder than necessary, and wastes $$$$ on extra discs.

If you happen to record your kid on the 6 o'clock news as an AVI, and you need to send it to a grandparent without a computer....by all means, that's a good time to convert. Something small, once in 3 blue moons.

Converting isn't the solution to saving your laptop from ongoing downloads. A DivX-enabled player will make your life much easier, and save you money.

Good luck with the refund!

I guess the AVI files will remain AVI. Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't know what I was getting myself into. Had no idea it would take this much time and space.

Thanks,

DSN

You learn something everyday.

... I figured he had his reasons for the request so why not just point him to a solution regardless.

I look after basic level computer users all day long. Reading between the lines is second nature. :)

It was obvious that the request wasn't really about conversion software. It was about watching downloaded AVI video with the least possible strain on an older laptop. Common newbie question from someone who doesn't understand the differences in the 2 formats, and what goes into shifting between them.

(No offence intended, dsn - there's no shame in being new & trying to learn!)

I'm searching for a program that can convert AVI files and other files into DVD format. I did a search and found a few but not sure which one is good. I don't feel right playing AVI files on my laptop just incase the DVD/RW drive kicks. It will cost more to replace the DVD/RW on my laptop than it would cost to replace a DVD Player.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

dsn

I always use Aimersoft DVD Creator, it can easily convert all popular video formats (AVI, MP4, MPG, MPEG, 3GP, WMV, ASF, RM, RMVB, DAT, MOV, FLV, etc) to DVD and burn DVD movie played on portable and home DVD players, that's very good, you can check it out here for free:

http://www.aimersoft.com/dvd-creator.html