CTC boat cover on sale....is is any good?

forrest

Crappy tire has some boat covers on sale this week. I find a lot of their products a bit iffy.

A 16-18 1/2 foot cover is $250-$100 = $150. Product# 79-1242-2

It is to fit over an Lund SSV-16. Is it any good?

forrest

I searched through some other boat cover posts........

one of the other recommended covers was from boatcovers.com but those ones are about $300; they do come with a motor cover though and are a custom fit (does that make my life easier?)

Kevin seems pretty happy....maybe boat covers are not such a big deal and any half decent one would do, I do not have gunwhales so I would have to strap down any cover I buy (right?)

Is it really worth the extra $150? Do people need a motor cover?

So many questions because I do not have a clue.

forrest

Edited by forrest

Have also an SSV16 but with side console midships. Tried the Canadian Tire cover two years ago...cheap rope, did not fit well. Took it back.

rope?

i think you may have bough the cheaper version?

this one comes with straps and buckles...

I use the same CTC cover on my 162 princecraft. I have used if for 3yrs now (its on for storage and longer road trips). The only issue I had was one of the buckels broke (easily replaced).

thanks guys...CT is sold out at the moment and the reviews on the BPS one were not so hot for those that had it more than one year (maybe they got a bad lot). If I get up to BPS I will still check it out though.

thanks guys

forrest call me a cautious person... I use the cover only, only when trailering... when it is sitting in the driveway I still cover it with a tarp... just to keep the UV off the cover.. a tarp is cheap insurance in allowing you to keep your fabric cover in good condition for years to come...

I have also read the reviews and I like this one the most....

"I have used this product for several years. (Just purchased my 2nd one) Only 2 problems ... 1. After several years the blue color fades and 2. Will not stand up to the lawn mower ... my son wasn’t watching where he was going!"

Also most of the reviews seem positive to me

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...0004000_200-4-7

G

Edited by Gerritt

After some more research I found that the CTC cover is actually a Stearns Orion.

The BPS one looks a lot like the Stearns Hurricane Polyester Canvas Boat Cover. Can anyone confirm the make?

They seem to be two different styles, one is snug and tight and pulls taught, the other oversized (could be a good thing) and a not as taught.

On a side note/rant:

CTC is really starting to get on my nerves, why?: The descriptions of their products is very poor. I suspect that this is done purposely because they do not want people to comparison shop. The exact same boat cover is $119 and Dick's and $106 at Amazon (shipped). CTC "regular" price is $250! Both Amazon and Dick's have full descriptions. And why do I have to enter my postal code twice everytime I go to that CTC site? Its been like that for years!

Forrest

Edited by forrest

I hate the sites that require my postal code as well.... Rona, CTC etc etc etc.... and you cannot get into the site unless you provide it...

Almost as bad as asking for your phone number @ the checkout...

Hate them both!

G

Retailers that have regional pricing (usually that means if you live in or close to a city, the prices are cheaper), need postal code in order to display the correct price for your area.

I never have to enter my postal code twice though....cookies keep the info...unless you've turned that off in your browser, you shouldn't have to repeatedly enter it.