Van Tents

bpsbassman

I had a van for almost 20 years and we would sleep at the launch of many lakes for almost nothing. What we did was pile all the none sleeping gear into the boat at night and install the boat cover for the night. Come morning everything none fishing went back into the van for the day. Of course we had coolers for food and adult beverages and always made a long weekend out of it. It sure beats sleeping on the ground.

I have caboose cushions (i worked on the railroad) for the inside of the van and it made a great bed for two people. This was a great way to go fishing/camping at anytime because you never needed reservations to sleep in your van at the launch site. Great times, Great fishing but now I too old to sleep in the back of the van. Damn is sucks getting old :(

I had a van for almost 20 years and we would sleep at the launch of many lakes for almost nothing

Billy Bob, I've been sleeping in my van for a number of years. Put screens in the front windows and Bob's yer uncle, but I would like to make more space to store my stuff and have a place to go when its raining.

As I said the boat stored stuff when not fishing and the van kept us dry in the rain. But in complete wash outs we would head home early. Another thing we did for light rain was pitch one of those cheap blue canopies to sit under. If you are camping in campgrounds just pitch a regular tent. They are probably MUCH cheaper and larger.

Good Luck Fishing/Camping,

Bob

I guess my question would be why attach the tent to the van? My 6 man tent that we use for car/boat camping is huge has two rooms fits two double air mattresses for two guys plus a ton of gear. It sets up in two minutes with just two poles and a fly. And Im probably stretching it at two minutes. Seems to me if you attach you vehicle it cuts down on your options. Slept in the back of the Yukon many a time in an emergency(to lazy to set up in the middle of the night) but that would be the same even if the tent was attached to the vehicle.

Roger, we have done much the same as you have. Put screens on the van windows and foam mattresses on the floor. For additional storage space we have a dining shelter with the roll down flaps for the rain or cold weather. Works great! even though it isn't a perfectly waterproof system as the flaps only tie down and don't zip closed. Set up our chairs, a portable table, lamp and a deck of cards and all set to go! :thumbsup_anim:

Other than that I'm sorry I can't give any input on the van tent, but it looks like a good idea.