Problem with older Minn Kota trolling motor

fisher

A friend gave me his older 36 lb thrust Minn Kota trolling motor but when I power it up, it just keeps turning and turning.

I don't think it's the autopilot as I turned it off. And I don't have the manual to see if it has any suggestions as to the problem.

I tried to play with the foot control to see if it was stuck but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyone have any ideas? Or does anyone know where can I bring it in for service? I live around Highway 400 and Rutherford Rd.

Thanks.

Edited by fisher

I think you are right about the short because when I press on the pedal to try to make it turn the other way, it just stops (and doesn't turn the other way) - almost as though the functions (to turn left and right) are competing with each other and resulting in each other being cancelled out.

I did some reading on the net and found that the pedal in these motors often don't last too long and are usually the cause of any problem with steering. Many people on the net have mentioned that they have had to get new pedals every few years.

This unit has to be at least 7 years old so the pedal may be the likely cause.

The foot control on some PD models have been causing grief for quite a few years now.

Another MinnKota repair facility is Aikmens at 3010 Novar Rd. in Mississauga just west of the Hurontario / Dundas intersection.

905-277-3595

They're good to deal with and can often get you fixed up PDQ

Hello Fisher,

Here is a link to download a Minn Kota repair manual I found on line a while back. I posted it on a website called "Sendspace" as it's 8.2mb and will be available for 7 days, scroll to the bottom and look for the flashing red arrow:

Minn Kota Repair Manual Download

I don't know if you're inspired to troubleshoot it yourself but this should help if you are so inclined, good luck!

Fisher,

Chances are it's a crack in the circuit board. If it turns to the right, I am almost certain. There was a recall on this unit for this problem, I'm not sure when but it would be worthwhile mentioning the recall to the Minn Kota repair facility nearest you. If you have any prob's PM me and I will try to help further.

John..