number 1 bait

walleyemaster

Hi guys...was just sitting here wondering what bait is the best for temagami walleye when fishing from the boat...me myself i like to troll just like any other guy but i love to jig....i have had success with both but for me the jig comes out # 1...my favorite colore for temagami is blue and white, pink with a close second...oh yah always tipped with a little meat...how about you

My best artificial to date is a Berkley Frenzy Minnow in Perch pattern. Caught all 4 of mine on it ! LOL (and off my dock to boot).

Good 'ol Red and White spoon appears to work as well.. late July bright sunny day....high noon... 6 feet of water. Wouldn't have believe it myself if I hadn't been in the boat.

BTW... Ice blew off the lake last night in the high winds.

Now irish that is what i call a great catch...sunny day walleye 6 feet of water? WOW !...nice to here ice is moving off the lake im gonna be fishing temagami May 31st for a week (33) days to go but whose counting.... irish can you tell me what they are talking about when people in here are making teams...i would like to join a team but dont know how....are you on a team? ...thanks rob... p.s would love to fish temagami with you one day it would be my pleasure and a learning experience im sure.....

Irish..i would start in the south arm...i usually cast the shoreline and rocks sticking out of water with a round chartruse color jig head and white 3 inch grub body...cast to the shoreline like fishing for bass and jig back towrds you slowly ....this works great for me in the early spring....i will give you the name of the bay i like to fish..later when i find it on my map....there is a water fall there and walleye are always in this bay tight to the shore line in early spring....and lot of rocks sticking out of water....nice laker spot there too.... No i dont know where to find you.....let me know maybe i will swing by and actually meet you...

Edited by walleyemaster

If that waterfall is the one coming out of Gull Lake... read the regs.. sanctuary area is now in effect until June 15th and you have to stay clear of it by 200M (656 feet). This applies to all of Kokoko Bay and Spawning Bay and Loon Bay as well. Gonna be lots of tickets written me thinks... considering that's where everyone heads on opening day!

thanks for the info...but im sure the waterfall im talking about is not the same one....i will find out tommorow and send you info on it......so were on the lake are you wayne...i stay at temagami lodge and i have stayed at other lodges in the winter because temagami lodge is closed for the winter...

WM

For the type of fishing you describe, I've had good success with the following

Black leach type jigs - Berkley Jigworm #1 for me

Also have been catching a number of walleye on 4" dark colored senkos. In deeper water I rig them on a jig head or carolina rig. These have caught some bigger summer walleye for me when fishing smallmouth

Started getting fish on Xraps and another fav is the rattle baits too. Cast to shore structure

for covering water I never leave the dock without a bottom bouncing rig and worm harness, Orange and white blades have been the ticket last couple of summers. On Temagami we target 25 ft depths in July/August and a little shallower in the back lakes.

If you're up there in May-beg June give the east end of Shiningwood bay a try. The north shoreline towrds the end of the bay gets a fair bit of fish after the season opens. They're scattered through there so trolling or drifting is a good bet. Walking sinker and floating jig head tipped with minnow of worm.

thanks fang for the info ill be there may 31 this year i will try shinning wood bay..its nice in there havent fished there that much i have to say but will take your advice...are you casting on the shoreline or are you just jigging and trolling ...also how deep do u fish when jigging there...

Hey wayne,,,will you be up there the week of 23-31 of may...i'll be staying up at tamar that week for my anual trip with t he ol man.

Hoping to be there May 12th until Late September inclusive... but the way some stuff is "stacking" up around here we may only be up for 10 days or so and then back home for a week or two and then back up for the summer (like we did last year). Won't know for sure 'til the day comes and we see what the weather is like.

I am going to be lurking near Kokoko Lake and surrounding smaller lakes from May 22nd-27th -- can't wait! Sorry Wayne, not going by your place though...too long of a trip by water with the little sardine can towing the canoe (and all of Jessy's beer), so we are jumping in off the main access road (with a jus of water in the truck for when I get back). And I will be accessing Kokoko via the bay behind Devil's point...so I can stay out of kokoko bay altogether.

I'm all ears on these walleye tips....to those who like a little "meat" on your jig...do you use worms as early as the end of May? I always thought minnows were the preferred choice for early season walleye...but then there's leeches...hmmm?

The one bait I have caught walleye on no matter where I have fished is a 1/8 oz ALL black bucktail jig. Sometimes tipped with just a piece of a crawler no longer than the hairs on the jig.

The reason this black jig works so well is because walleyes like to bug, meaning they are on the bottom looking for bugs and things to eat. This black bucktail jig must resemble some of the things they are eating. If you haven't tried a all black bucktail jig you might want to buy about 1/2 dozen of them. I make my own but my boat always has about 2 dozen on board. Now if the fish are widely scattered jigging is not the best approach but it they are in classic areas like weed edges etc...... the bucktail shines above all other baits.

Happy Walleye Hunting,

Bob

check and double-check! Leeches are off the list, and black bucktails are on the list! I wonder if a nice feathery black bucktail looks like a leech down there...hmmm....either way...I know what I'm buyin' in the next couple weeks. :thumbsup_anim: