Trying to identify a fish....

mikem

OK - surely this is the place to ask this loaded question!

My wife and her sister were wandering Garloch gardens in Oakville, and in a little stream there (by little I mean max 5 feet wide, maybe 2ft deep - but connected directly to Lake Ontario) and they happened upon 3 fish harassing another one. We have pretty much identifed the harrased fish as a carp, but cannot figure out what the other 3 fish were....

After going through pretty much any type I could think of, and looking throught MNR ID charts, we are stumped. The best that they can describe as identifying features:

2 (or 3) dark bands horizontal along the fish - one in line with the eyes, the other higher

Head like a Largemouth Bass

Foot or so in length

Rounded top fin (they think...)

the fish themselfs were lighter in color - but unsure of the exact color because the water was kind of murky

they were harassing the carp together, in what the ladies thought were an agressive manner.

I am stumped - I was thinking striped bass - but not according to the ladies when we got our pics of them...

they are emphatic that the stripes were thick and dark, calling them bands, not stripes.

any help is appreciated - I hate to have a mystery like this unsolved!!! :)